Broadmeadow East Coal Mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
Broadmeadow East Coal Mine is an open-cut 1.2-million tonnes per annum (Mtpa) coal mine in the state of Queensland, Australia.
The mine, which received final approval from the Queensland Government in March 2022, is owned by Australia's Bowen Coking Coal, and will be operated by BUMA Australia. The first coal was mined in July 2022.
The map below shows the exact location of the coal mine in the state of Queensland, Australia.
Bowen Coking Coal acquired the Broadmeadow East Project from Peabody Energy in June 2020. The project hosts a 33 million tonne (MT) resource and is planned to be mined though conventional truck and shovel opencast mining at a rate of between 0.8-1Mt per year over a period of between 5–7 years. A fast tracked program for this contract targets the same tonnages to be mined at an average rate of 1.2Mt per year over a shorter period.
According to the news media outlet World Coal, first phase mobilization of site infrastructure, ancillary equipment, haul tucks and an EX3600 excavator are underway as of May 2022, and first coal delivery to the Carborough CHPP is targeted for July 2022.
- Operator: BUMA Australia
- Owner: Bowen Coking Coal
- Location: 25 km northeast of the Moranbah township, Queensland, Australia
- Coordinates: -21.8240, 147.9792 (exact)
- Mine status: Operating
- Start year: 2022 (2 years early)
- Production Capacity: 1.2 Mtpa
- Total reserves: 33 Mt
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Mine type: Surface
- Mine size (Km2):
- Workforce size: 370<ref name="worldcoal" /ref>
- Primary consumer: Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal
- Source of financing:
Articles and Resources
- Broadmeadow East Project, Mining Data Solutions, accessed 11 January 2022
- "Broadmeadow East Project Receives Final Approval", Bowen Coking Coal ASX Releases, 3 March 2022.
- "Bowen Coking Coal appoint mining contractor to Broadmeadow East", World Coal, 12 May 2022.
- Broadmeadow East, Bowen Coking Coal website, accessed June 2022.