|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
Broadmeadow coal mine is an underground coal mine which can produce up to 4.8 million tons of coking coal per year, in Queensland, Australia.
The map below shows the location of the mine.
The mine is located 34km north of Moranbah and neighbors the nearby Goonyella Riverside coal mine, which has the same owner as Broadmeadow.
The mine is owned and operated by BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA), a 50:50 joint venture between BHP Billiton and Mitsubishi Development. BMA also operates the Peak Downs mine, Saraji mine, Norwich Park mine, Goonyella Riverside mine, Blackwater mine, and the Gregory Crinum mine, as well as the Hay Point Coal Terminal.
Operations began at Broadmeadow mine in 2005 under the ownership of BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance, meaning the mine has had the same owner for its entire lifetime. The neighboring Goonyella Riverside mine has two coal processing plants where mined coal is sorted and washed, which Broadmeadow mine uses for its own coal. After being processed, the coal from both mines is transported by rail to the BMA-owned Hay Point Terminal.
Broadmeadow has undergone several changes, especially with regards to the extraction method used at the mine. Historically, Broadmeadow was mined using conventional longwall mining practices, but the mine began using the longwall top coal caving technique in 2012. This mining method is defined as “a special type of longwall mining applicable to very thick seams where good quality coal is being left because ‘conventional’ longwall equipment has not yet been designed to operate successfully beyond around 5m mining height.” Implementing this method at Broadmeadow increased productivity and offers safety advantages.
The introduction of the longwall top coal caving method, alongside an expansion of the Broadmeadow mine eastwards, increased the productive capacity at the mine from 0.4 mpta to a new total capacity of 4.8Mtpa and extended the life of the mine by 21 years. This expansion began producing coal in 2013 as part of the Goonyella Riverside Mine Expansion. The Goonyella Riverside Mine Expansion is one of the four components of the Bowen Basin Coal Growth Project.
In 2015, the Federal Government granted federal approval to what is known as the Red Hill coal project, a BMA-proposed new mine and extension of the Broadmeadow mine and Goonyella Riverside mine. In addition to increasing annual coal production out of the new mine and Goonyella Riverside by 32.5 mtpa, the project proposed an extension of three longwall panels to the Broadmeadow mine. This extension would add one year of life to the Broadmeadow mine.
- Operator: B.M Alliance Coal Operations Pty Ltd
- Owner: BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance, which is owned by BHP Billiton Ltd (50%) and Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd. (50%)
- Location: Located 34km north of Moranbah in the coalfields of Central Queensland.
- GPS Coordinates: -21.8025693,147.9819727
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 5.2 mtpa
- Total Resource: 1010 Mt (Measured, Indicated and Inferred Resource, 2020) 
- Mineable Reserves: 165 Mt(Proven and Probable Reserve, 2019) 
- Coal Type: metallurgical: high quality coking coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: underground punch longwall mine
- Start Year: 2005
- Source of Financing:
- "BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance to acquire The New Saraji Coal Project", Domain-B.com, 18 July 2008.
- "BMA Announces New Underground Coal Mine," "BHP website," July 24, 2003.
- "Goonyella Riverside and Broadmeadow Mines: Application for amendment of environmental authority (mining activities) under section 224 of the Environmental Protection Act 1994," "BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance," accessed June 2020.
- "Terms of Reference for an Environmental Impact Statement: Bowen Basin Coal Growth Project," "Queensland Government," November 2008.
- "Longwall Top Coal Caving," "Underground coal," accessed June 2020.
- "Broadmeadow readies to take the LTCC challenge," "Australia's Mining Monthly," January 4, 2013.
- "Goonyella Riverside Mine Expansion (part of the gazetted Bowen Basin Coal Growth Project)," "Queensland Government," December 6, 2017.
- "Red Hill Mining Lease Project," "Queensland Government," accessed June 2020.
- "Goonyella Riverside, Broadmeadow Mine," "Mining Data Solution," accessed June 2020.
- "BMAs Broadmeadow Mine breaking new ground in underground safety," "BHP website", May 8, 2019.
- Broadmeadow Mine, BHP website, accessed June 2022.
- BHP, "annual Report 2020", BHP website, Accessed April 2020