Hay Point Coal Terminal
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The terminal, which completed its most recent (Stage Three) expansion in early 2015, had an annual coal export capacity of 55 million tonnes.
The terminal is located at the Port of Hay Point, 38km south of Mackay in Queensland. The Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal is also located at the Port.
- Operator: BMA (BHP Mitsubishi Alliance)
- Location: Port of Hay Point, Queensland, Australia
- Coal Handling Capacity: 55 mtpa
- Start year: 1971
- Status: Operating
- Type: Exports
- Coal source: BMA-operated mines in northern Bowen Basin, Australia
Hay Point Coal Terminal (HPCT) began operating in October 1971 with a single coal loading berth and added a second berth in 1975. In 2006-07, a two-phase, A$256 million expansion project (known as HPX1 and HPX2) increased the terminal's shipping capacity from 33 to 44 million tons per annum (Mtpa).
A third, $2.45 billion expansion project, initiated in 2010 and known as HPX3, added a third berth and an additional shiploader, raising the terminal's capacity from 44 to 55 Mtpa. The newly expanded terminal loaded its first coal on January 12, 2015.
The expansion included Goonyella System Expansion (GSE) 140, a US$185 million project by QR National to support the HP3 expansion. QR National states that the project, on the Bowen Basin to Mackay rail connection, includes an electricity feeder station as well as track duplication. QR National announced in March 2011 that the project had been approved and would be completed in 2014.
The terminal services BMA's seven coal mines in the coal-rich Bowen Basin of central Queensland (the Goonyella Riverside, Broadmeadow, Daunia, Peak Downs, Saraji, Blackwater and Caval Ridge Project mines and is linked to the mines by an integrated rail-to-port network.
Articles and resources
- "New BMA Hay Point Coal Terminal Boosts Queensland's Coal Exports", BHP, December 16, 2015
- "Port of Hay Point Fact Sheet", North Queensland Bulk Ports Corporation, November 4, 2013.
- "Hay Point Coal Terminal Expansion - HPX1 and HPX2", Hatch website, January 2015.
- "Hay Point Expansion Phase 3 Project", Evolution Alliance website, accessed January 2015.
- "HP BILLITON OPERATIONAL REVIEW FOR THE HALF YEAR ENDED 31 DECEMBER 2014", BHP Billiton news release, January 21, 2015.
- "QR National approves $185 million expansion of Goonyella coal rail network", Media Release, March 25, 2011.
- Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences, "Minerals and energy: major development projects - April 2011 Listing", Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences, May 26, 2011.
- "Coal",Mitsubishi website, accessed 15 October 2019.