Bulga coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Bulga coal complex is a group of mines, operated by Bulga Coal Management, a subsidiary of Glencore, producing 9.02 million tonnes per annum, near Broke, in the Upper Hunter Valley of New South Wales, Australia. 
The map below shows the exact location of the mine near Broke, in the Upper Hunter Valley of New South Wales, Australia.
This mine is a combined open cut and underground coal mine ultimately owned by Glencore. However, underground mining ceased in 2018, though mining leases have been retained in the case Glencore wants to begin mining again. In December 2014, Bulga Open Cut received approval to continue operations until 2035.
The Bulga Coal complex includes an open cut mine, a Coal Handling and Preparation Plant and underground mines, including South Bulga, Beltana and Blakefield South. Since the underground mine shut down in 2018, the overall complex produces approximately 12 million tonnes of semi soft coking coal and thermal coal, which is then taken by rail to the Port of Newcastle to be exported to China and Japan. 
Open cut mining within the Bulga Coal complex commenced in 1982, while underground mining did not begin until 1992. Bulga Coal targets the Redbank, Wambo, Blakefield, Glen Munro and Woodlands Hill seams of the Whittingham coal measures.
Coal Reserves for Bulga open cut operations are sufficient to support a mine life of 23 years.
On its website Xstrata Coal states that the Bulga Complex is managed by Bulga Coal Management Pty Limited on behalf of the Bulga Joint Venture (BJV). The BJV ownership comprises Saxonvale Coal Pty Limited which holds an 87.5% share with the remaining 12.5% held by Nippon Steel Australia Pty Limited. Saxonvale Coal Pty Limited is a 100% owned by Oakbridge Pty Limited of which Enex Oakbridge Pty Limited owns 78%. Glencore owns 100% of Enex Oakbridge Pty Limited.
- Sponsor: Bulga Coal Management
- Parent Company: Glencore
- Location: located approximately 12 kilometres southwest of Singleton and 1 kilometre north of Broke, in the Upper Hunter Valley of New South Wales.
- GPS Coordinates: -32.6795434, 151.1000279
- Status: operating
- Production Capacity: 9.02 mtpa
- Total Resource: 1,150 Mt as of 2013 for the underground and open cut operations
- Mineable Reserves: 219 Mt as of 2019 for the underground and open cut operations
- Coal type: semi-soft coking coal and thermal coal
- Mine Size: 5,500 hectares
- Mine Type: underground and open cut (dragline, truck and shovel operation)
- Workforce Size: 750
- Start Year: 1982
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Bulga Coal, "About Us", Bulga Coal website, accessed August 2010.
- "OVERVIEW," "Glencore website," accessed June 2020.
- "Welcome to Bulga Coal," "Glencore: Bulga Coal," accessed June 2020
- "Overview," "Xstrata coal website," July 2012.
- "Resources & Reserves as at 31 December 2013," "GlencoreXstrata," 2013.
- "Fast Facts: Bulga Coal," "Bulga coal website", 2018.
- "Glencore,Energy Products, 2018 production
- "Open cut mining," "Glencore: Bulga Coal," accessed June 2020.
- "Xstrata Coal Bulga," "Xstrata Coal Bulga," accessed June 2020.