CVG Briquetera del Orinoco DRI plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
CVG Briquetera del Orinoco DRI plant (CVG Briquetera del Orinoco), also known as Orinoco Iron or BriqOri, is an iron making plant in Ciudad Guayana, Venezuela. CVG Briquetera del Orinoco operates four direct reduced iron (DRI) plants.
The map below shows the location of the plant in Ciudad Guayana, Venezuela.
The CVG Briquetera del Orinoco DRI plant traces its origins back to 1973, when it was founded under the name FIOR as Venezuela's first DRI (direct reduced iron) plant. The company was renamed Orinoco Iron in 2000, adopting Finmet DRI technology and gaining fame as South America's first HBI (hot briquetted iron) facility under the joint ownership of International Briquettes Holding and CVG Ferrominera del Orinoco.
In 2009, Orinoco Iron was nationalized, together with several other Venezuelan iron and steel producers. Iron production, which had risen under private ownership to nearly match the plant's full 2.2 million tpa capacity, began to fall off precipitously, with only one of the four DRI plants onsite still operating. By 2016, production had plummeted to near zero. Following maintenance work in early 2021, the plant was reportedly aiming to ramp production back up to 60,000 tonnes per month.
- Alternative plant names: Orinoco Iron, BriqOri
- Other language plant name: CVG Briquetera del Orinoco (Spanish)
- Location: 8050 Ciudad Guayana, Bolivar, Venezuela
- GPS Coordinates: 8.274965, -62.819282 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 2000 (age 21–22)
- Parent company: Corporación Venezolana de Guayana
- Parent company PermID: 5001120464
- Owner: Orinoco Iron
- Owner company PermID: 4296908109
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- 2020 Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude Iron: 237 (sponge iron/DRI)
- Steel product category: crude iron
- Steel products: hot briquetted iron (HBI)
- Steel sector end users: unknown
- Workforce size: 1150
- Main production equipment: DRI
- Detailed production equipment: 4 DRI plants (DRI #1: Finmet HBI, 2000; DRI #2: Finmet HBI, 2000; DRI #3: Finmet HBI, 2000; DRI #4: Finmet HBI, 2000)
Articles and resources
- "Empresas Heridas de Muerte: Corrompiendo el Metal" (PDF). Transparencia Venezuela. 2018.
- "2020 World Direct Reduction Statistics" (PDF). Midrex. September 14, 2021.
- "Briquetera del Orinoco espera producir 60 mil toneladas/mes luego de labores de mantenimiento mayor". VTV. April 29, 2021.
- "Briquetera del Orinoco - CVG". Facebook. Retrieved 2022-01-31.
- "Decreto Nº 3.549, mediante el cual se adscribe la empresa Briquetera del Orinoco C.A. (ORINOCO IRON) a la Corporación Venezolana de Guayana (CVG)". Pandectas Digital. August 16, 2018.
- "2022 AIST DRI & HBI Roundup". AIST. Retrieved 2022-01-30.
- "Briquetera del Orinoco - Mayor producto de hierro procesado en América". Issuu / Laboral. June 13, 2016.
This page uses material from the Wikipedia page [wikipedia.org/Page_Title Page Title] under the provisions of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.