Chandgana Coal Project
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Mongolia and coal|
Chandgana Coal Project is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) mine-mouth coal-fired power station in Khentii, Mongolia.
The map below shows the location of the Nyalga Coal Basin. The Chandgana Coal Plant is planned for the north side of the basin. (In one document on the project, Prophecy Coal state that the site of the proposed mine and power station as being 134 kilometres east of the railway line end at the Baganuur coal mine.
The project would exploit the large coal deposits at Chandgana Tal and Khavtgal Uul by Canadian mining company Prophecy Coal Corp. in conjunction with a mine-mouth power station known as the Chandgana Coal Plant. The sponsor Prophecy Power Generation is developing the power station, rolled out in two phases of two 150 MW units each.
On its website Prophecy Power Generation reported that the following had been completed from November 2010 through June 2013: Environmental Impact Assessment, mining license, power transmission EIA approval, construction license for 600 MW, land use approval, and coal supply agreement. The company reported that it is working with the National Electricity Transmission Grid Company on finalizing the Power Purchase Agreement, planned for completion in 2015. Construction is planned for 2016-2019.
In January 2015 Guildford Coal Limited signed a Memorandum of Understanding to purchase an 80% stake in the mines and power station.
In December 2015 Prophecy Coal signed an EPC contract with PowerChina Nuclear Engineering Company (formerly Shandong Electrical Power Construction No.2 Company, or SEPCO 2) to invest in and build the 600 MW plant.
With no developments since December 2015, the project appears to be abandoned.
During May 2013, Prophecy Power subsidiary Chandgana Coal executed a 25-year Coal Supply Agreement (CSA) with Prophecy Power Generation to supply 3.6 million tonnes of coal annually. The initial coal delivery date is anticipated to be during the second half of 2016. On its website Prophecy says the Chandgana Tal deposit "contains 124 million tonnes of measured coal resource and is sufficient for approximately 30-40 years of power plant operation."
Project Details for Chandgana Coal Plant
- Sponsor: Guildford Coal Limited, Prophecy Coal Corp.
- Location: Tsaidam Nuur Valley, Murun Soum, Khentii Province, in Central Mongolia
- Coordinates: 47.3890526, 110.0208664 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity:
- Phase I: 300 MW (2 x 150MW)
- Phase II: 300 MW (2 x 150MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type: Subbituminous
- Coal Source: Chandgana Tal deposit, Tsaidam Nuur Valley
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Prophecy Coal, "Annual Information form for the financial year ended December 31, 2013", March 28, 2014, page 37.
- "Chandgana Tal and Chandgana Khavtgai Coal Project", Prophecy Resource Corporation website, accessed March 2011.
- "Chandgana power plant project," Prophecy Coal website, accessed August 2014
- "Chandgana Coal-Fired Power Plant Project 600 MW (4X150 MW)", Prophecy Coal website, accessed January 2014.
- "Chandgana power plant", Prophecy Coal website, accessed July 2014.
- "Chandgana Coal-Fired Power Plant Project 600 MW (4X150 MW)," Prophecy Development, Jan 12, 2015
- “Guildford Makes Mongolian Power Play,” World Coal, January 6, 2015
- "EPC for Mongolian power plant," Asia Miner, 04 January 2016
- "Chandgana power plant project," Prophecy Coal website, accessed Feb 2015