Charter Steel Cleveland plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Charter Steel Cleveland plant is a 590 TTPA electric steel plant operating in Cuyahoga Heights, OH, United States. Charter Steel Cleveland plant operates an electric arc furnace (EAF).
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Cuyahoga Heights, OH, United States.
The Charter Steel Cleveland plant, originally known as the Cuyahoga Works, was built in 1907 by the American Steel & Wire Company (which was owned by U.S. Steel). The American Steel & Wire Company sold the plant for around $52 million in 1993 to Birmingham Steel, who kept it running until 2001, when it was shut down. Charter Steel then bought the site in 2002 and invested around $125 million into expanding it, beginning construction in 2004. The plant then began operating as an electric steel plant in 2006.
In 2017, Charter Steel announced it was planning to build a new $150 million mill adjacent to its Cleveland plant, which would be operational by mid-2018, but as of 2021, no further updates on this project have been published.
- Location: 4300 East 49th Street, Cuyahoga Heights, OH 44125, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 41.443147, -81.659911 (exact)
- Start year: 2006 (age 15–16)
- State-owned entity status: N/A
- Parent company PermID: 4296566392
- Owner company PermID: 4296566392
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: 590 (EAF)
- Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Crude steel: unknown (EAF)
- Steel sector end users: unknown
- Workforce size: 300 (as of 2010)
Articles and resources
- 2021 AIST Electric Arc Furnace Roundup, Association for Iron & Steel Technology, Jan. 2021.
- "CHARTER STEEL". Encyclopedia of Cleveland History | Case Western Reserve University. 2018-05-11. Retrieved 2022-01-15.
- Gores, Paul (2017-01-31). "Charter Steel to build $150 million plant in Ohio". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved 2022-01-15.
- "Charter Steel to build new $150 million mill in Cuyahoga Heights". Cleveland. 2017-01-31. Retrieved 2022-01-15.
- "Contact Us". Charter Steel. Retrieved 2022-01-14.
- "History". Charter Steel. Retrieved 2022-01-14.
- "Facilities". Charter Steel. Retrieved 2022-01-14.
- "Products". Charter Steel. Retrieved 2022-01-14.
- "ISO 14001 Certificate". Charter Steel. 2021. Retrieved 2022-01-15.
- "ISO 50001 Certificate". Charter Steel. 2020. Retrieved 2022-01-15.
This page uses material from the Wikipedia page [wikipedia.org/Page_Title Page Title] under the provisions of the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.