Tradepoint Atlantic bulk terminal
|This article is part of the Global Coal Terminals Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
Tradepoint Atlantic bulk terminal is a bulk cargo facility located at the Tradepoint Atlantic complex, a logistical hub located at Sparrows Point, Maryland, United States.
The terminal handles bulk cargo, including coke and coal.
The map below shows the location of the bulk cargo area at the Tradepoint Atlantic complex at Sparrows Point, which is located in Maryland along the Chesapeake Bay.
The Tradepoint Atlantic logistics hub sits on the former site of Bethlehem Steel's Sparrows Point steel plant and shipyard. Once the largest steel-making plant in the world, it ceased operations in 2012 and was demolished in 2015. Tradepoint Atlantic purchased the site for US$110 million in 2014, with intentions to develop it into a multimodal shipping hub.
In 2016, Host Terminals Inc. won a contract to operate a terminal at Sparrows Point, at a site that had previously been operated by Kinder Morgan. Host now uses the terminal as a transload facility for the export of utility and metallurgical coals. In 2017, Host signed an agreement with Tradepoint Atlantic to become the exclusive port operator for the Sparrows Point operations.
In 2017, Tradepoint Atlantic handled 2.5 million short tons (approximately 2.27 metric tonnes) of bulk cargo, including lead ingots, organic feed grain, coal, gypsym and zinc. In 2018, Tradepoint Atlantic announced plans to invest US$50 million to expand the terminal's bulk handling capacity, including US$20 million in funding from the US Federal Government. The plans include deepening of the terminal's berths to accommodate larger vessels.
As of December 2021, the Tradepoint Atlantic website lists the bulk cargo handling area, near the southern edge of the complex, as being available for leasing.
- Operator: Host Terminals, Inc.
- Owner: Tradepoint Atlantic
- Location: Sparrows Point, Maryland
- Bulk Cargo Capacity (Million metric tonnes per annum): 2.72 (estimate)
- Status: Operating
- Start year: 2014
- Type: Exports
Articles and resources
- Paul Gessler, Steel Returns To Sparrows Point As Wind Farm Company Plans Turbine Plant, CBS Baltimore, Aug. 3, 2021
- Sparrows Point: An American Steel Story, Baltimore Museum of Industry, Accessed December 2021
- Paul Scott Abbott, Tradepoint Atlantic teaming with Host in advancing Maryland out-of-box hub, American Journal of Transportation, Aug. 7, 2017
- Robert McCabe, Norfolk ship agency sues Kinder Morgan, alleging retaliatory blacklisting, The Virginian Pilot, July 20, 2016
- Tradepoint Atlantic, T. Parker Host, Accessed December 2021
- Tradepoint Atlantic, Sparrows Point, MD, Norfolk Southern, Accessed December 2021
- Tradepoint Atlantic Finalizes Long-Term License Agreement with Host Terminals to Drive Marine Terminal Development, Hilco Global, Apr. 7, 2017
- Pamela Wood, Tradepoint Atlantic granted $20M from federal government toward port upgrades, Baltimore Sun, Mar. 7, 2018
- Site Availability, Tradepoint Atlantic, Accessed December 2021