Cheyenne Connector Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Cheyenne Connector Pipeline is an operating natural gas pipeline in Colorado, USA.
The pipeline will run within Weld County, Colorado, USA.
- Owner: Tallgrass Energy (50%), DCP Midstream (50%)
- Proposed capacity: 600 million cubic feet per day
- Length: 112.7 kilometers / 70 miles
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2020
Tallgrass Energy has submitted an application with FERC.
The Cheyenne Connector Project is a 70-mile large-diameter interstate natural gas pipeline designed to receive gas from processing facilities in southern Weld County in the DJ Basin and deliver it to the Cheyenne Hub just south of the Wyoming border. The pipeline, with an initial design capacity of 600 MMcf/d and potential room for expansion, will link natural gas supplies from the DJ Basin to demand areas in West, Midwest, Gulf Coast and Southeast markets. It is estimated to enter service in Q4 2019.
As of August of 2019, it has yet to receive FERC approval. The project was originally scheduled to receive approval February 28, 2019 to meet the estimated in-service date. Now, the project appears to be at risk of delays.
Construction commenced in the last quarter of 2019.
In June 2020, Tallgrass Energy announced that it had obtained approval from the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) for both the Cheyenne Connector Pipeline and the Rockies Express Gas Pipeline (REX), which are a part of the Cheyenne Hub Enhancement Project. Both pipelines were placed in-service on June 26, 2020, two days after the FERC decision.
Articles and resources
- Planned Pipelines, Pipeline News, accessed October 2018
- National Energy and Petrochemical Map , FracTracker, February 28, 2020
- Tallgrass Energy Announces Cheyenne Connector Pipeline In-Service; D-J Basin Supply Gains First Firm Access to Rockies Express Pipeline Through REX Cheyenne Hub Enhancement Project, Business Wire, June 26, 2020
- Cheyenne Connector Project Description, Tallgrass Energy LP, accessed October 2018
- Cheyenne Hub futures bearish despite possible connector project delays, Hellenic Shipping News, August 23, 2019
- Tallgrass Energy Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2019 Results, The Daily Times, Feb 12, 2020