Cleveland-Cliffs Middletown steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Cleveland-Cliffs Middletown Works, also known as Middletown Works or AK Steel Middletown, is a 3000 TTPA integrated steel plant in Middletown, Ohio, United States. Cleveland-Cliffs Middletown Works operates a blast furnace (BF) and basic-oxygen furnace (BOF).
The map below shows the location of the steel plant in Middletown, Ohio, United States.
The Cleveland-Cliffs Middletown steel plant began operations in 1901 under the company AK Steel. The steel plant was acquired by Cleveland Cliffs in 2020 when the company bought AK Steel for $3 billion.
- Alternative plant names: Middletown Works, AK Steel Middletown
- Location: 1801 Crawford St., Middletown, OH 45043, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 39.488589, -84.386197 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 1901
- State-owned entity status: N/A
- Parent company: Cleveland-Cliffs Inc [100%]
- Parent company PermID: 4295903753
- Owner: Cleveland-Cliffs Inc
- Owner company PermID: 4295903753
- Production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Production (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Iron: 1892 (BF, 2020)
- Steel product category: semi-finished; finished rolled
- Steel products: Hot-rolled and cold-rolled carbon steels, enameling steels, electrogalvanized ZINCGRIP ELECTROSMOOTH® steels, hot-dip galvanized ZINCGRIP® products, aluminized carbon and stainless steels
- Steel sector end users: automotive; building and infrastructure; transport; tools and machinery
- Workforce size: 2340
- ISO 14001: N/A
- ISO 50001: N/A
- Main production equipment: BF, BOF
- Detailed production equipment: coking plant (began in 1953, 76 ovens, 20.67m3); 1 blast furnace (BF) (1493m3); 2 basic oxygen furnaces (BOF) (began in 1969, rebuilt in 2017)
Articles and resources
- Cleveland-Cliffs (2021-05-01). "Middletown Works Fact Sheet" (PDF). Cleveland-Cliffs. Retrieved 2021-10-20.
- Fisher, Jacob (2020-12-22). "The future of Middletown Works: City leaders say early conversations show promising signs". www.bizjournals.com. Retrieved 2021-10-20.
- "Union President AK Steel to Change Its Name". Dayton Daily News. Retrieved 2021-10-20.
- Cleveland-Cliffs (2021). "Third Quarter 2021 Earnings Conference Call". Cleveland-Cliffs. Retrieved 2021-10-20.
- 2021 AIST Basic Oxygen Furnace Roundup, Association for Iron & Steel Technology, Jan. 2020
- Fitzgerald, Michael (2021-03-30). "Cleveland-Cliffs completes scheduled Ohio blast furnace maintenance". www.spglobal.com. Retrieved 2021-10-20.
- ArcelorMittal (2019). "Inventing smarter steels for a better world" (PDF). ArcelorMittal. Retrieved 2021-10-20.
- Cleveland Cliffs (2021). "Middletown Works". Cleveland Cliffs. Retrieved 2021-10-20.
- 2020 AIST Blast Furnace Roundup, Association for Iron & Steel Technology, Jan. 2020
- 2020 AIST Coke Oven Roundup, Association for Iron & Steel Technology, Jan. 2020