Coal & Allied
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Coal & Allied is a coal mining company operating three mines in the Hunter Valley in New South Wales, Australia. The company is 75% owned by Rio Tinto Coal Australia (RTCA), a wholly owned subsidiary of Rio Tinto.
Coal & Allied, Rio Tinto states, operates three mines in the Hunter Valley in New South Wales. These are:
Coal and Allied also notes that it has a number of other projects under consideration including:
- the Carrington West Extension; a possible extension of mining at Hunter Valley Operations, north of the Hunter River.
- the Warkworth Extension to "extend mining within its existing lease at the Mount Thorley Warkworth mine"; and
- the Mount Pleasant Project.
Coal & Allied "also has a 37 per cent interest in Port Waratah Coal Services coal loading terminal ... Coal & Allied produces thermal and semi soft coal. Most of its thermal coal is sold under contracts to electrical or industrial customers in Japan, Korea and elsewhere in Asia. The balance is sold in Europe and Australia. Coal & Allied’s semi soft coal is exported to steel producing customers in Asia and Europe under a combination of long term contracts and spot business."
Rio Tinto Coal Australia Pty Limited
Level 3, 410 Ann Street
Phone (Newcastle): +61 (0)2 6570 0300
Phone (Brisbane): +61 (0)7 3361 4200
Email: info AT rtca.riotinto.com.au
Articles and Resources
- Rio Tinto, 2009 Annual Report: Production & reserves: Group mines: Energy", Rio Tinto website, 2010.
- Coal & Allied, "Our operations", Coal & Allied website, accessed August 2010.
- Coal & Allied, "Our projects", Coal & Allied website, accessed July 2010.
- Rio Tinto, "Rio Tinto Coal Australia", Rio Tinto Operations & Financial Report, 2008.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- International Partnership for the Hydrogen Economy
- Rio Tinto's coal interests
- Preston Chiaro, chief executive Energy, Energy & Minerals briefing, Rio Tinto website, July 25, 2008.