Collie power station
Collie power station is a 350-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Western Australia, Australia.
The map below shows the location of the plant, near Collie, Western Australia.
Background on Plant
Collie power station is a 350-megawatt coal-fired power station owned by Verve Energy, a power utility owned by the Western Australian government.
The power station, which opened in 1999, is operated and maintained by Transfield Worley Power Services, a joint venture company between Transfield Services and WorleyParsons. On its website Verve Energy states that the power station has a staff of "about 40."
On its website Verve Energy states that the power station consumes approximately 1 million tonnes of coal a year, which is supplied from Collie coal mines.
In October 2022, it was announced that the Collie power station would be taken offline until January 2023. Coal shortages, combined with ample solar energy generation in the region, were the reasoning cited for the shut down. According to the state energy minister, a "forced outage" at the facility would allow Synergy to stockpile coal for the summer.
In June 2022, Premier Mark McGowan announced the government-owned power utility Synergy would shut its two remaining coal-fired plants by 2029. The Collie plant was set to close in 2027. (Two units at the Muja power station were scheduled to close later that year and in 2024. The remaining capacity was set to close in 2029.) The government proposed to spend A$3.5 billion (US$2.4 billion) over 10 years on 800 MW of new wind capacity, battery storage and potentially pumped hydropower. The announcement left just the Bluewaters power station as the only remaining coal plant in the Western Australian grid.
- Sponsor: Verve Energy
- Parent company: Verve Energy
- Location: Collie, Western Australia, Australia
- Coordinates: -33.3430939, 116.2608474 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 350 MW (single-unit)
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1999
- Proposed retirement: 2027
- Coal type:
- Coal source: Collie coal mines
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Verve Energy, "Collie", Verve Energy website, accessed November 2010.
- "Coal shortages and abundant solar lead to shut down of Collie power station," Renew Economy, October 3, 2022
- "Synergy coal power stations including Muja to close as WA Government prioritises renewable energy," ABC News, June 14, 2022