Cottage Grove Mine
Cottage Grove Mine was an open cut coal mine in Gallatin and Saline counties in Illinois which is owned and operated by Peabody Energy. The mine originally commenced with the mining in 1997 of the Eagle Valley Pit while the Cottage Grove Pit opened in 2000. The Eagle Valley Pit has now been exhausted.
Peabody states that the mine produced approximately 2.1 million tons of coal in 2010, including the Tennessee Valley Authority, Tampa Electric, American Electric Power and Cinergy. Peabody states that the mine has 15 million tons of recoverable coal reserves.
- MSHA ID:
- Owner: Peabody Energy
- Parent company: Peabody Energy
- Location: Gallatin and Saline counties, Illinois
- GPS coordinates: 37.762708,-88.401589
- Type of coal: Bituminous
- Mine type: Surface
- Number of employees:
- Status: Closed
Articles and resources
The Illinois Coal Industry Statutory Mandated Report 2008 an industry report containing information on Illinois mines.
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Illinois and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Peabody Energy, "Cottage Grove Mine" Peabody Energy Website, July 2011.