Cullenswood coal mine
The Cullenswood coal mine began operating in 2002. Cornwall Coal Company owns two other mines in Fingal: Blackwood mine and Huntsman mine. All three coal mines send their product to be processed at Duncan Washery before it is passed along to Tasmanian industries, such as Cement Australia at Railton and Norske Skog at New Norfolk. All of the coal from Cornwall Coal’s mines stay on the island of Tasmania. Cornwall Coal as a whole produces about 500,000 tonnes of ROM coal per year.
Cullenswood mine began as one open cut pit. But by 2010, only about 30,000 tonnes of coal remained at Cullenswood No 1, so Cornwall Coal proposed an addition of Cullenswood No. 2, a new open cut mine near the original. An Environmental Effects report for the proposed expansion wrote that the “planned level of production is likely to be 150,000 tonnes per annum over the life of the deposit, which is expected to be 5-10 years depending on actual production rates.”
Along with that proposal, a study was conducted by Palaris Mining to determine the coal deposits in the newly proposed mine area. They estimated one coal seam within the lease held about 519,000 tonnes of coal and another held about 154,000 tonnes, for a total of about 673,000 tonnes of coal.
Cullenswood No. 2 was approved, but it is unclear exactly when this occurred.
Cornwall then proposed another open pit in 2015, Cullenswood No. 5, which would allow for extraction of 50,000 tonnes of coal per year. The resource at the site is estimated to be approximately 150,000 tonnes, which would allow for a 3 year operation. Though it is unclear when this was approved, it appears by looking at a satellite map that the operation was approved, as coal mine operations are clearly taking place here.
- Sponsor: Cornwall Coal Company
- Parent Company: Cement Australia
- Location: Located between Fingal and St Marys in north-east Tasmania.
- GPS Coordinates: -41.6125381,148.1254475 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 50,000 tonnes per year
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 673,000 total tonnes from Cullenswood No. 2 and 150,000 tonnes in Cullenswood No. 5
- Coal type: black coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: open cut
- Start Year: 2002
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- "CULLENSWOOD," "MiningLink," accessed June 2020.
- "CULLENSWOOD 5, ST MARYS OPEN‐CUT EXTRACTION PIT: ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS REPORT," "Van Diemen Consulting," July 13, 2015.
- Jacqui Allan, "CULLENSWOOD No. 2 MINE ENVIRONMENTAL EFFECTS REPORT," "Scientists, Engineers, Managers & Facilitators," January 2010.
- "APPENDIX A: CULLENSWOOD NO 2 MINE EVALUATION," "Palaris Mining," July 10, 2009.
- "Australia: Business and Investment Opportunities Yearbook. Volume 8: Tasmania Mining and Minerals.," "International Business Publications, USA," 2017.
- "The Cornwall Coal Company Pty Ltd, Cullenswood No. 5, Open Cut Extraction Pit, St Marys," "EPA Tasmania," accessed June 2020.
- "ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT REPORT: Cullenswood 5 Coal Mine," "EPA Tasmania," September 2015.
- "Cullenswood coal mine, St Marys, Break O'Day municipality, Tasmania, Australia," "Mindat.org," accessed June 2020.
- "CULLENSWOOD," "Minedex: Mine Careers," accessed June 2020.