Davy Branch mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
|Please visit Global Energy Monitor to download the dataset|
Davy Branch mine is a coal mine in West Virginia, United States.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
The mine has since become operational.
In 2021, the federal Mine Safety and Health Administration found that the Aracoma Coal Company didn’t sufficiently assure safe underground haulage at the Davy Branch mine when mobile equipment traveled through a flypad (a transparent ventilation curtain) and shuttle cars shared a common intersection. On February 21, shuttle car operator Justin L. Lafferty, 38, died as the result of injuries he sustained at 7:44 a.m. on Jan. 22, when another shuttle car struck his own, according to the agency.
The mine operator has been issued 36 violations by the West Virginia Office of Miners’ Health, Safety and Training since the start of 2021 totaling $7,400 in fines. According to local reporting, "Repeat violations have included unpermitted parking of mining equipment, improper ventilation of working sections of the mine and failure to effectively insulate and seal permanent splices in training cables."
- Owner: Aracoma Coal Company, LLC
- Parent company: Contura Energy
- Location: Stollings, Logan County, West Virginia, United States
- GPS coordinates: 37.79972222, -81.94666667 (exact)
- Mine status: Operating
- Start year: 2019
- Production: 1.2 mtpa
- Mineable reserves:
- Mine type: underground
- Mining method:
- Coal type: Bituminous (met coal)
- "Applications for OMR," "West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection," accessed July 2020.
- Mike Tony,MSHA fingers coal company for lack of underground haulage policies in final report on January fatal incident, Charleston Gazette-Mail, Jul 13, 2021
- "Davy Branch Upper Chilton," "DEP Electronic Submission System," accessed July 2020.
- "Contact Us," "Contura Energy website," accessed July 2020.
- "Administrative Information," "West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection," accessed July 2020.
- "Estimated Timetable for Each Operation Phase," "West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection," accessed July 2020.
- "Anticipated Coal Production Information," "West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection," accessed July 2020.