|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The ‘’’Dawson mine complex’’’ is an open cut mine located in the Dawson Valley, at the southern end of the Bowen Basin in Central Queensland. The mine, owned by Anglo American and Mitsui Holdings, produced about 4 million tonnes of metallurgical coal in 2019. The complex is made up of 3 operating pits — North, Central and South.
Coal from the mine is railed to the Port of Gladstone to be exported to Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and India.
The Dawson mine complex has been operating since 1961, meaning it is one of the oldest coal mines in central Queensland. Anglo American acquired its interest in the mining complex in 2002, when Mitsui sold them 51%.
In 2007, the joint venture invested $1.1. billion to increase production rates by developing two new mining sites, Dawson South and Dawson North. Dawson North closed temporarily in March 2009 due to a worldwide decrease in the demand for coal, but it reopened again in late 2010. Dawson South expanded in 2012 to include new pits.
Up until 2013, Anglo American reported their annual production of saleable coal, which ranged from 7 - 9 million tonnes per year. However, post-2013, only production of metallurgical coal is readily available, which is about 4 million tonnes per year.
- Sponsor: Anglo American
- Parent Company: Joint venture between Anglo American (51%) and Mitsui Holdings (49%)
- Location: Located near the townships of Moura, Banana and Theodore, approximately 12 kilometres east of Moura and 180 kilometres west of Gladstone in the Bowen Basin, Queensland.
- GPS Coordinates: -24.6168211,150.0504833 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 4 million tonnes of metallurgical coal in 2019
- Total Resource: 1212.9 million tonnes (Measured, Indicated, and Inferred Resource) 
- Mineable Reserves: 137.4 (Proven and Probable) 
- Coal type: coking, soft coking and thermal coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: open cut and high wall mining methods
- Start Year: 1961
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- "DAWSON: Socio-Economic Assessment Toolbox Report 2019-2021," "AngloAmerican," 2019.
- "Dawson Complex, Queensland," "MiningTechnology," accessed June 2020.
- "DAWSON MINE: SEAT REPORT 2012–2014," "AngloAmerican," 2012.
- "Fact Sheet: Dawson," "AngloAmerican," September 2013.
- "Dawson Mine," "Mining Data Solutions," accessed June 2020.
- "Dawson", AngloAmerican website, accessed August 2010.
- "INTEGRATED ANNUAL REPORT," ""AngloAmerican," 2019.
- Anglo American, "Annual Integrated Report 2020", Anglo American website, Accessed April 2021