Demirhan Coal Mines

From Global Energy Monitor
This article is part of the
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
Download full dataset
Report an error

Demirhan Coal Mines (Doğanköy, Taşumurca, Harmanlı and Çavuşlu) is an operating coal mine in Malkara/Uzunköprü, Tekirdağ, Türkiye.


Table 1: Project-level location details

Mine Name Location Coordinates (WGS 84)
Demirhan Coal Mines Malkara/Uzunköprü, Tekirdağ, Türkiye 41.07527, 26.838081 (approximate)

The map below shows the approximate location of the coal mine:

Loading map...

Project Details

Table 2: Project status

Status Status Detail Opening Year Closing Year
Operating 1996

Table 3: Operation details

Note: The asterisk (*) signifies that the value is a GEM estimated figure.
Capacity (Mtpa) Production (Mtpa) Year of Production Mine Type Mining Method Mine Size (km2) Mine Depth (m) Workforce Size
1[1] 2018[1] Surface Open Pit 50* 293*

Table 4: Coal resources and destination

Total Reserves (Mt) Year of Total Reserves Recorded Total Resources (Mt) Coalfield Coal Type Coal Grade Primary Consumer/ Destination
Lignite Thermal

Table 5: Ownership and parent company

Owner Parent Company Headquarters
Demirhan Madencilik Demirhan Madencilik Turkey

Note: The above section was automatically generated and is based on data from the GEM April 2024 Global Coal Mine Tracker dataset.


Demirhan Coal Mines are a group of four surface mines between Malkara, Tekirdağ and Uzunköprü, Edirne in Turkey. The mines are Doğanköy, Taşumurca, Harmanlı and Çavuşlu.[2][3] Demirhan Mining Company started operations in the region in 1996 with underground mining. However, they transitioned into surface mining in 2008 because of high risks and costs associated with underground mining.[2]

According to a 2017 interview with the company's board of directors, the four mines have the combined capacity to produce 2 million tons a year, but produce only 250 thousand tons a year on average. Out of the 250 thousand tons production, 70% is sold to be used in the manufacturing industry, and the remaining 30% for household heating. The four sites employed 200 workers in 2017. In the same interview, board member Oktay Bakırhan stated that there were two proposed coal-powered power plant projects in the region, and that they were intending to increase their production to 1 million tons to meet the demand of these proposed plants.[2]

  • Operator: Demirhan Madencilik
  • Owner: Demirhan Madencilik
  • Location: Malkara district, Tekirdağ province, Turkey / Uzunköprü district, Edirne province, Turkey
  • Coordinates: 41.075270, 26.838081 (Approximate)
  • Status: Operating
  • Capacity: 2 million tons per year
  • Production: 0.25 million tons per year
  • Total Reserves:
  • Mineable Reserves:
  • Coal Type: Lignite
  • Mine Type: Surface Mine
  • Start Year: 1996
  • Source of Financing:

Articles and Resources

Additional data

To access additional data, including an interactive map of world coal mines, a downloadable dataset, and summary data, please visit the Global Coal Mine Tracker on the Global Energy Monitor website.


  1. 1.0 1.1 (PDF) {{cite web}}: Missing or empty |title= (help)
  2. 2.0 2.1 2.2 Cite error: Invalid <ref> tag; no text was provided for refs named :1
  3. Cite error: Invalid <ref> tag; no text was provided for refs named :0