Dorstfontein Complex coal mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
The map below shows the location of the mines in Mpumalanga Province, South Africa.
Exxaro Coal Central (Pty) Ltd operates the mine, which is owned by Exxaro Resources Limited. The Dorstfontein Complex consists of two mines. DCME is an open pit colliery which produces 180 thousand tonnes per month run-of-mine. DCMW is an underground mine that produces on average 74 thousand tonnes run-of-mine. There is a wash plant on site. The life-of-mine is estimated to be 15 years. Coal from the mine goes daily to export markets. 
In 2021, Exxaro sold the mine to Overlooked Colliery, and the expansion project appears shelved under new ownership.
- Operator: Overlooked Colliery 
- Owner: Overlooked Colliery 
- Location: Kriel, Mpumalanga, South Africa 
- GPS Coordinates: -26.223715, 29.298358 (Exact)
- Status: Operating
- Capacity: 2.5 million tonnes per annum (Mtpa)
- Total Resource: 293 million tonnes 
- Mineable Reserves: 94.8 million tonnes 
- Coal Type: Bituminous (Thermal) 
- Mine Type: Surface and underground
- Mine Size: 78.92 km2 
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Exxaro Coal, "Dorstfontein Complex", Exxaro website, Accessed March 2021
- Exxaro Resources Limited, "Operations", Exxaro Resources website, Accessed March 2021
- Exxaro sells Coal Central operations to Overlooked Colliery, Mining Weekly, April 2021
- South Africa Department of Mineral Resources, "Mining Operations in Mpumalanga", DMR website, Accessed March 2021
- Dorstfontein Complex - Exxaro Resources Limited Mineral Resources Report 2018, Exxaro Resources Limited, Accessed July 2022.