Dumri coal mine
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
The Dumri Coal Mine Project is a proposed 1 million tonne per annum mine located in North Karanpura Coalfields, operated by Nilachal Iron & Power Limited, in Tehsil Terhesa, Hazaribagh, Jharkand, India.
In response to a right of information request in 2021, the mine is no listed by the Government of India as an active new mine project. It is presumed cancelled.
The satellite image below shows the area of the proposed mine in village Chati Bariatu, Tehsil Terhesa, District Hazaribagh, Jharkhand.
Background on Mine
The mine was allotted jointly to Nilachal Iron & Power Ltd. for the company’s sponge iron plant and for M/s Bajrang Ispat Pvt. Ltd. The Project received the environment clearance on 23 December 2010. The Project involves R&R of 1737 PAPs and 534 PAFs consisting of land and homestead losers of 5 villages – Pagar (68 PAPs), Balia (74 PAPs),Tunda, Pandu (1435 PAPs), Chati-Bariatu (160 PAPs). Life of the mine at the rated capacity of 1 MTPA is 44 years. Public Hearing for the project was held on 7 September 2009.. However, the mine was cancelled by Supreme Court in wake of the coalgate scam and further reallotted to HINDALCO Industries Limited by Ministry of Coal on 22 April 2015 and environment Clearance transferred on 28 October 2016. As of today, the mine is still at the stage of getting various clearances.
The mine was expected to become operational in March 2019, but it is unclear if it did so.
- Sponsor: Hindalco Industries Limited
- Parent company: Hindalco Industries Limited
- Location: villages Terhesa and Pandu, Tehsil Terhesa, District Hazaribagh, State Jharkand, India
- GPS coordinates: 23.9127778, 85.10083333333333
- Status: Cancelled
- Production Capacity: 1 million tonnes
- Total Resource: 56.955 MT
- Mineable Reserves: 40.8 MT
- Coal Type: Grade F
- Mine Size: 279 Ha
- Mine Type: Opencast
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- Permits and Applications: Environemnt Clearance for Dumri Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 23 December 2010, Environment Clearance Transfer to HINDALCO Industries Limited, MoEF&CC India, 28 October 2016
- Size of Expansion:
- Permits and Applications:
Articles and Resources
- Government of India, Ministry of Coal, Question No. 35 - "Opening of new Coal Mines", February 3, 2021
- Environemnt Clearance for Dumri Coal Mine, MoEF&CC India, 23 December 2010
- Environment Clearance Transfer to HINDALCO Industries Limited, MoEF&CC India, 28 October 2016
- Excerpts from the Chairman, Mr. Kumar Mangalam Birla’s address to shareholders at the 59th Annual General Meeting, 21 September 2018
- Dumri Captive Mine to be Operational by March 2019, Projects Today, September 28, 2018
- Dumri Coal Block Summary