Edwight Surface Mine
Edwight Surface Mine is a surface coal mining operation in Raleigh County, West Virginia, operated by Alex Energy and owned by Massey Energy. According to Coal River Mountain Watch, there have been 33 cited violations at the mine, ruining local drinking water.
West Virginia Department of Environmental Quality Denies Public Hearing
On March 11, 2010 it was announced that the West Virginia Dept. of Environmental Quality (DEP) denied local citizens a public hearing regarding a show cause order for the Edwight Surface Mine. According to West Virginia state law, show cause orders, intended to be the final step prior to the DEP shutting down a mine site, are supposed to be settled in public hearings. Despite the West Virginia law, the DEP has decided not to hold a public hearing in the case of Edwight, and instead opted to privately negotiate a consent order with the mine operator, Alex Energy, a subsidiary company of Massey Energy.
As of March 2010, there have been 33 cited violations on the Edwight Surface Mine.
- MSHA ID: 4608977
- Operator: Alex Energy Inc
- Controller: Massey Energy
- County: Raleigh
- State: WV
- Latitude: 37.86
- Longitude: -81.53
- 2007 Production (short tons): 1,572,126
- Coal Type: Bituminous
- Mining Method: Surface
- Mine Status: Active
- Average No. of Employees: 143
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- West Virginia and coal
- U.S. coal politics
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "DEP Denies Public Hearing For Edwight Show Cause" Coal River Mountain Watch Website, March 11, 2010.
- "What's my connection to mountaintop removal?" ilovemountains.org, accessed March 2010
- "DEP Denies Public Hearing For Edwight Show Cause" Climate Ground Zero, March 11, 2010.
- "Major U.S. Coal Mines," Energy Information Administration