|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
Elandspruit Colliery (also known as Elandspruit Complex) is a surface and underground complex of coal mines wholly owned by Wescoal, in Middleburg, Mpumalanga, South Africa.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
Elandspruit Colliery is a coal mine complex comprised of five coal seams. Currently all seams present within the delineated opencast areas are scheduled for mining, namely the No. 4 Lower Coal Seam, No. 3 Coal Seam, No. 2 Upper and Lower Coal Seams and the No. 1 Coal Seam. Within the underground mining area, only the No. 1 Coal Seam is targeted for mining.
Wescoal (now known as the Salungano Group) owns the mine. The primary consumer of coal from the Elandspruit mine is Eskom, who purchase approximately 65% of the coal produced. The mine is categorised as a surface mine, however, it does produce a very small quantity of coal via underground operations. Wescoal report that there are 27 employees at Elandspruit, there are 427 contractors in addition to this. The mine began producing coal in 2015 and, as of 202, has a predicted life of 5 years. 
- Operator: Wescoal Mining Proprietary Limited
- Owner: Salungano Group
- Location: Middleburg, Mpumalanga, South Africa 
- Coordinates: -25.80982, 29.38474 (Exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production: 2.5 million tonnes per annum (2021)
- Total Resource: 9.2 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 8.92 million tonnes
- Coal Type: Bituminous (Thermal)
- Mine Type: Surface and underground
- Mine Size: 5.38 km2
- Start Year: 2015 
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Wescoal, "Our Business: Mining", Wescoal website, Accessed March 2021
- Resource and Reserve Summary on the Coal Assets of Wescoal Holdings Limited 2021, Salungano Group website, March 31, 2021.
- Resources, Salungano Group website, accessed July 2022.
- "Wescoal is now trading as Salungano as it seeks to distance itself from fossil fuels", Fin24, April 7, 2022.
- Wescoal, "Integrated Annual Report", Wescoal website, Accessed March 2021
- Salungano Group Integrated Annual Report for the year ended 31 March 2022, Salungano website, accessed October 2022.