Elginskiy Coal Mine

From Global Energy Monitor
(Redirected from Elga mine)

Elginskiy coal mine (or Elga or Elginskoye) is a surface coal mine in Sakha Republic, Russia.

Location

The map below shows the exact location of the mine, in a remote area 415km east of Neryungri, in Neryungrinsky District, Sakha Republic, Russia. The mine is connected via dirt mining roads to the railway network at Ulak, in Amur Oblast, 210km away.[1][2]

Loading map...

Background

The Elga coal complex is now operated by Elga Sibanthracite (Elsi Group)l, a new company created by A-Property following the merger between Elgaugol and Sibanthracite Group in September 2022.[3] Previously in March 2020, A-Property, a company owned by Russian businessman Albert Avdolyan, agreed to buy the 49% stake in Elgaugol from Gazprombank. A-Property then purchased the remaining 51% of Elgaugol from Mechel.[4][5]

The Elga coal mine is part of the Elginskoye coal field in Sakha Republic. It is the largest coking coal deposit in Russia, its reserves are 2.2 billion tonnes.[6]

Permission for the Elga mine was gained in 2007. Development started in 2010, following the start of construction of the spur-track linking Baikal-Amur Mainline’s Ulak station with the Elga coalfield. The spur-track was completed in 2011, and coal extraction began that year.[7][8]

A-Property developed an extensive investment program for the mine complex following the acquisition. In 2020, production reached 7 million tonnes (up from 4.3 million tonnes in 2019. In 2021, production more than doubled to 14.7 million tonnes.[9] The plan is to reach production levels of 45 million tonnes by 2023.[6][10] The company has announced public consultation of the expansion project in June 2022.[11]

In January-June 2022, Elgaugol boosted production to 10.3 million tonnes, while the target for the full 2022 is 20 million tonnes.[12] Most of the coal is exported.

Elsi Group is building five washing plants with a combined processing capacity of 10.5 Mtpa, and plans to launch the first stage of the complex in September. The rest of the facilities are expected to be finished by the end of 2022. The overall washing capacity will reach 24 Mtpa upon project completion.[12]

Transport

Coal is taken from Elga on a private railway. It travels 321 kilometers on the Ulak – Elga railroad constructed by Mechel to link the mine to the Baikal-Amur main train line. The mine is 2430 km from Port Posiet and 1,900km from Vanino Port, from which the coal is exported.[1]

Mine Details

  • Operator: Elga-Sibanthracite[3]
  • Owner: A-Property
  • Location: 415km east of Neryungri, in Neryungrinsky District, Sakha Republic, Russia[1]
  • GPS Coordinates: 56.192426, 130.635752 (exact)
  • Status: Operating
  • Production: 14.7 million tonnes (2021)[9]
  • Total Resource: 2.2 billion tonnes[6]
  • Mineable Reserves:
  • Coal type: Bituminous (Met)
  • Mine Type: Surface
  • Start Year: 2011
  • Source of Financing:

Project Expansion Details

  • Status: Proposed
  • Capacity: 25Mt (to 45Mtpa in 2023)[6]
  • Start Year: 2023
  • Source of Financing:

Articles and resources

References

  1. 1.0 1.1 1.2 Mechel, "Elga is Mechel’s strategic investment project," YouTube, 20 August 2019.
  2. Эльгинское месторождение, Wikimapia, accessed Mar. 2021.
  3. 3.0 3.1 "ЭЛСИ объединяет угледобывающие активы Дальнего Востока и Сибири". elsi-group.ru. September 21, 2022.
  4. "Russian Tycoon Buys 49% of Elga Coal Project, Talks to Mechel on 51%", Reuters, March 23, 2020.
  5. "Mechel closes sale of 51% of Elga Coal Complex for 89 bln rubles". Interfax Russia. April 20, 2020.
  6. 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Elsi Group. "Elga complex". Retrieved October 2022. Check date values in: |access-date= (help)
  7. Mechel, "Elgaugol History," Mechel website, accessed 10 July 2019.
  8. Elsi Group. "History". Retrieved October 2022. Check date values in: |access-date= (help)
  9. 9.0 9.1 "ИТОГИ РАБОТЫ УГОЛЬНОЙ ПРОМЫШЛЕННОСТИ РОССИИ ЗА 2021 ГОД". cyberleninka.ru. 2022.
  10. Эльгинский угольный комплекс — ключевой проект программы развития угольной промышленности страны, Production Figures, accessed March 2022
  11. "Отработка запасов Эльгинского месторождения ООО «Эльгауголь». Вторая очередь строительства. Производственная мощность 45 000 тыс. т". June 2022.
  12. 12.0 12.1 "Argus Russia Coal". argusmedia.com. August 1, 2022.

Related GEM.wiki articles