|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Elga coal mine is a surface coal mine, operated by Mechel and Gazprombank AO, producing 4.3 million tonnes per annum, in south-eastern Yakutia (Sakha), Russia.
The mine is undergoing expansion phases to reach 11.7 million tonnes.
As of March 2020, A-Property, a company owned by Russian businessman Albert Avdolyan, agreed to buy the 49% stake in the coal project from Gazprombank in March 2020. It is also in talks to buy the remaining 51% in the project from Mechel.
The coal mine is located in south-eastern Yakutia (Sakha), some 415 kilometers east of Neryungri. The map below shows the exact location.
Coal Mine Background
Permission for the Elga mine was gained in 2007. Development started in 2010, following the start of construction of the spur-track linking Baikal-Amur Mainline’s Ulak station with the Elga coalfield. The spur-track was completed in 2011, and coal extraction began that year.
The Elginsky coal mine is part of the Elginskoye coal field in Sakha Republic, Russia. Mechel, who operate the mine, refer to it as the Elga coal deposits. The annual production capacity is 5 million tonnes (Mt) per year, which Mechel is looking to expand to 11.7 million tonnes, saying this has the potential to increase Russia's metallurgical coal exports by more than half. Elga is one of 22 coal deposits in the Toki Coal basin, where there is a reserve with an estimated 40 billion tonnes of coal.
According to Mechel, the coal reserves lie in deposits of up to 17 meters.
- Parent Company: Mechel (51%), Gazprombank AO (49%)
- Location: Southern Yakutia 415 kilometers east of the city of Neryungri, Russia. 
- GPS Coordinates: 56.192426, 130.635752 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 5 million metric tons (Mt)/year to expand to 11.7 million tonnes
- Production: 4.3 million tonnes in 2019; 4.9 mtpa in 2018; 4.2 mtpa in 2017
- Total Resource: 2.2 billion metric tons
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: Coking coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Surface mine
- Start Year: 2011
- Source of Financing:
Coal is taken from Elga on a private railway. It travels 321 kilometers on the Ulak – Elga railroad constructed by Mechel to link the mine to the Baikal-Amur main train line. The mine is 2430 km from Port Posiet and 1,900km from Vanino Port, from which the coal is exported.
Articles and resources
- "Russian Tycoon Buys 49% of Elga Coal Project, Talks to Mechel on 51%", Reuters, March 23, 2020.
- Mechel, "Elga is Mechel’s strategic investment project," YouTube, 20 August 2019.
- Mechel, "Elgaugol History," Mechel website, accessed 10 July 2019.
- Mechel, "Elgaugol," Mechel website, accessed 10 July 2019.
- Form 20_F, accessed