Elk Creek Mine (WV)
Elk Creek Mine (WV) is a metallurgical coal mine in West Virginia, United States.
The map below shows the mine in Logan County, West Virginia.
The Elk Creek Mine was located in parts of Logan, Mingo and Wyoming counties in West Virginia. It had been owned by CONSOL Energy but closed in the 1990s. Consol sold the idled mine to Ramaco Resources in 2012.
According to Ramaco Resources, "When we acquired the Elk Creek project in 2012, we acquired rail access, permitted impoundment and coal refuse disposal facilities, as well as numerous reclaimed, but permitted, deep mines. The Elk Creek project began production in the fourth quarter of 2016. The project consists of 24 seams that are targeted for production. Ramaco Resources’ Elk Creek produced approximately 529,000 tons of high volatile A/B metallurgical coal in 2017 from two underground continuous miner room-and-pillar operations and one surface contour and highwall miner operation. A third underground continuous miner operation was started in 2018 and production is expected to be approximately 1.8 million tons in 2018."
The mine has 96 million tonnes of recoverable reserves (60 proven, 36 probable), according to Ramaco Resources.
- Owner: Ramaco Resources
- Mine Status: Operating
- Start year: 2016
- Current Capacity (MTPA): 1.8 million tonnes per annum
- Recoverable Reserves (MT): 96 million tonnes
- Proposed Capacity (MTPA):
- Location: Davin, Logan County, West Virginia
- Coordinates: 37.682504,-81.826425 (exact)
- Coal Type: Metallurgical
- Mining Method: Underground
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Jeff Jenkins, "Ramaco Development CEO confident about plan for 2 coal mines," West Virginia Metro News, September 11, 2016
- "Elk Creek Mine," Ramaco Resources, accessed August 2019
- "FORM 10-K Annual Report," Ramaco Resources, Mar. 19, 2019