Eloff coal project
|This article is part of the |
Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.
The Eloff Coal Project is a proposed surface mine which will act as an extension of the Kangala Colliery.
Operated by Eloff Mining Company (a joint venture of Ndalamo Resources and Universal Coal), the project is expected to produce 2.4 million tonnes per annum, in Delmas, Victor Khanye, Nkangala, Mpumalanga, South Africa.
The image below shows the approximate location of the mine in Delmas, Mpumalanga, South Africa.
Eloff sits directly adjacent to Kangala Colliery and will utilize the existing Kangala infrastructure, including its CHPP. While the project began under the ownership of Universal Coal Plc (Universal), in June 2020, TerraCom acquired 100% of Universal.
In December 2018, the Department of Mineral Resources granted Universal Coal the mining right and environmental authorization over the Eloff project.
According to TerraCom's 2021 annual report, the project is fully regulated and is awaiting the finalization of the domestic offtake agreement with Eskom before recommencing development and production from the current Kangala pit into the Eloff resource.
As of 2022, it is unclear if construction has yet begun.
- Operator: Eloff Mining Company
- Owners: TerraCom (49%) and Ndalamo Resources (51%)
- Location: Delmas, Victor Khanye, Nkangala, Mpumalanga, South Africa
- GPS Coordinates: -26.1885802, 28.6517105 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 2.4 million tonnes per annum
- Total Resource: 528 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 41.17 million tonnes
- Coal Type: Bituminous (Thermal)
- Mine Size: 81.68 km2
- Mine Type: Surface, opencast
- Start Year: TBD
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- GCS Consultants, Integrated Water Use License Application (IWULA) and Integrated Water and Waste Management Plan, June 11, 2019.
- Terracom Limited Annual Report 2021, Terracom website, accessed October 2022.
- "Universal Coal granted mining right for Eloff coal project in South Africa", S&P Global Market Intelligence, December 17, 2018.
- Eloff, Universal Coal website, accessed July 2022.