Estrella del Mar III power station
|Part of the Global Gas Plant Tracker, a Global Energy Monitor and Center for Media and Democracy project.|
Estrella del Mar III power station (Planta Estrella del Mar III) is 145-megawatt (MW) gas-fired power station, under construction in Santo Domingo province, Dominican Republic.
The map below shows the approximate location of the power station in Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo province, Dominican Republic.
- Sponsor: Transcontinental Capital
- Parent company: Seaboard Corporation
- Location: Santo Domingo, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Coordinates: 18.4699, -69.8796 (approximate)
- Gross generating capacity (construction): 145 MW
Estrella del Mar III power station is one of Siemen Energy's SeaFloat vessels, described on their website as "a trailblazing, highly efficient floating power plant on a mobile, self-supporting barge." Siemen's considers Estrella del Mar III in the Ozama River of Santo Domingo to be so important due to the risks the city faces from sea level rise due to climate change. Estrella del Mar III is powered by two SGT-800 gas turbines and one SST-600 steam turbine.
In early 2021, environmentalists spoke out against both Estrella del Mar II and Estrella del Mar III due to concerns of the violation of law 64-00 which refers to water pollution in riverways. Activists say that moving forward with these operations would be an "ecological crime". Activists also stated the plant is incompatible with the tourist destination in addition to increasing contamination.
In May 2021, the Dominican Ministry of the Environment rejected the request of Transcontinental Capital to operate both Estrella del Mar II and Estrella del Mar III on the Ozama River. Transcontinental Capital was given a 24 month period to withdraw both barges from the Ozama River during which time the electrical authorities in the Dominican Republic will be tasked with compensating for the loss of electrical production by the barges (resolution 0022-2021).
Articles and Resources
- "Secure power from stem to stern". Siemens Energy. Archived from the original on May 3, 2021. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- "Transcontinental Capital Corporation (Bermuda) Ltd". Seaboard. May 25, 2012. Archived from the original on April 22, 2021. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- "Siemens wins contract for Estrella del Mar III floating power plant". NS Energy Business. Archived from the original on May 3, 2021. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- "SeaFloat Estrella del Mar III". siemens-energy.com Global Website. Retrieved 2021-06-23.
- Redacción CDN (2021-04-20). "Ambientalistas rechazan barcaza Estrella de Mar II y III en río Ozama" (in español). Retrieved 2021-06-23.
- Listin Diario. "Seaboard amenaza con acudir a arbitraje para defender concesión | Listín Diario". listindiario.com (in español). Retrieved 2021-06-23.