Estrella del Mar II power station
|Part of the |
Global Gas Plant Tracker,
a Global Energy Monitor project.
Estrella del Mar II power station (Planta Estrella del Mar II) is a 106-megawatt (MW) fuel oil- and gas-fired power station in Santo Domingo province, Dominican Republic.
The map below shows the exact location of the power station in Río Ozama, Santo Domingo province, Dominican Republic.
- Sponsor: Transcontinental Capital
- Parent company: Seaboard Corporation
- Location: Río Ozama, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Coordinates: 18.4840, -69.8832 (exact)
- Gross generating capacity (operating): 106 MW
The Estrella del Mar II power station is a barge-based floating power plant, originally placed in service in 2012.
In May 2021, the Dominican Ministry of the Environment rejected the request of Transcontinental Capital to operate both Estrella del Mar II and its companion barge Estrella del Mar III on the Ozama River. Transcontinental Capital was given a 24 month period to withdraw both barges from the Ozama River during which time the electrical authorities in the Dominican Republic was to be tasked with compensating for the loss of electrical production by the barges (resolution 0022-2021).
However, as of May 2022 the Estrella del Mar III barge had begun commercial operations, and the Dominican government appeared to be supportive of both barges operating simultaneously to support the needs of the national grid.
Articles and Resources
- "Seaboard Transcontinental Capital". Seaboard. Archived from the original on April 22, 2021. Retrieved November 7, 2022.
- Google Maps
- "Estrella del Mar II". Seaboard Power. Archived from the original on May 4, 2021. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- "Vocero de la Presidencia: El sistema eléctrico está volviendo a la normalidad en todo el país". Presidencia de la República Dominicana. May 21, 2022.
- "Estrella del Mar II Power Barge: First Dual Fuel Gas Combined Cycle Plant" (PDF). Seaboard Transcontinental Capital Corp (Bermuda) Ltd. Archived (PDF) from the original on May 3, 2021. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- "Wärtsilä to supply a 106 MW Floating Power Plant to the Dominican Republic". Wartsila. August 30, 2010. Archived from the original on May 3, 2021. Retrieved May 4, 2021.
- Listin Diario. "Seaboard amenaza con acudir a arbitraje para defender concesión | Listín Diario". listindiario.com (in español). Retrieved 2021-06-23.
- Redacción CDN (2021-04-20). "Ambientalistas rechazan barcaza Estrella de Mar II y III en río Ozama" (in español). Retrieved 2021-06-23.