Etinde FLNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Etinde FLNG Terminal is a proposed LNG export terminal offshore of Cameroon.
The terminal is located offshore of Cameroon, over the Etinde gas field.
- Owner: New Age (African Global Energy)(37.5%), Lukoil (37.5%), Bowleven (25%)
- Location: offshore Cameroon
- Coordinates: 4.0237344, 8.903989 (approximate)
- Type: Export
- Capacity: 1.3 mtpa
- Cost: 500 million USD
- Status: Proposed
- FID: 2022
- Start Year: 2023
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
The project may include wellhead platforms tied back to an onshore gas processing plant based in Limbe, Cameroon. Potential scenarios include a tieback to the Punta Europa LNG Terminal and Methanol onshore plant on Bioko Island in Equatorial Guinea, or using the Golar LNG-owned Cameroon FLNG project which operates at Perenco's Cameroon FLNG project, or using a new near shore small scale FLNG, being called Etinde FLNG Terminal. The Cameroon government has sanctioned the Etinde FLNG Terminal, but this option would require additional gas sources to be economically viable in the longer term. The Etinde Exploitation Authorisation (EA) includes a right for the government to terminate the EA early if development plans are not implemented by January 2021. New Age operates Etinde with a 37.5% working interest. Bowleven and Lukoil are partners with a 25% and 37.5% working interest, respectively.
The final investment decision (FID) was originally expected in the end of 2020, but has been delayed until the end of 2021.
In March 2022, Energy Voice reported that the FID had been delayed once again to late 2022, citing the COVID-19 pandemic and resulting market volatility, and that the developers were considering exporting gas from the project via Equatorial Guinea. In April 2022 Upstream reported that sanctions targeting Russia's Lukoil were also complicating development.
Articles and resources
- Etinde fixed platforms FID targeted in 2020, Connect Upstream Insight, January 29, 2020
- BloombergNEF LNG Export and Import Projects--Q4 2020, BloombergNEF, January 21, 2021
- "PLS Inc | New Age pushing forward with Cameroon FLNG plans". www.plsx.com. Retrieved 2022-07-27.
- Reed, Ed (2022-03-30). "Bowleven warns of complexity, financial strain on path to Etinde". Energy Voice. Retrieved 2022-05-31.
- Reed, Ed (2021-03-30). "Etinde FID delayed once more - News for the Energy Sector". Energy Voice. Retrieved 2022-05-31.
- Esau (i_esau), Iain (2022-04-05). "Troubled: Challenged West Africa gas scheme hit by sanctions on Russian partner | Upstream Online". Upstream Online | Latest oil and gas news. Retrieved 2022-05-31.