Farmersburg Mine is a surface operation mine in Vigo and Sullivan Counties in Indiana, and is a Peabody Energy operation. The mine opened in 1996 and shipped 3.3 million tons of medium sulfur coal in 2008. Its workforce of 260 uses a combination of dragline, truck/shovel, and tractor push to uncover coal in the Indiana No. 7 and No. 6 seams. The coal is transported by train to multiple utilities.
In July 2010, Peabody Indiana Services LLC notified the state Department of Workforce Development that it intends to close its Farmersburg surface mine between Aug. 30 and Sept. 13, 2010. The St. Louis-based coal company says it expects to offer jobs at other mines to a majority of employees at the operations about 15 miles south of Terre Haute.
- Owner: Black Beauty Coal Company
- Parent company: Peabody Energy
- Location: 5526 E French Dr, Pimento, IN 47866
- GPS coordinates: 39.292403, -87.336953
- Production: 3.3 million tons (2008)
- Type of coal: Medium sulfur
- Mine type: Surface
- Equipment: dragline, truck/shovel, and tractor push
- Number of employees: 260
- Recoverable Reserves: 24 million tons
Black Beauty Coal Company
7100 Eagle Crest Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47715
Articles and resources
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Indiana and coal
- Proposed coal mines
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- "Farmersburg Mine" Peabody Energy Website, October 2009
- "Peabody set to shut down 100-worker coal mine in western Indiana this summer" The Republic, July 6, 2010.