GFG Liberty Ostrava steel plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
GFG Liberty Ostrava steel plant (also known as ArcelorMittal Ostrava a.s.) is a 3600-thousand tonnes per annum (ttpa) blast furnace-basic oxygen furnace (BF-BOF) steel plant in Moravia-Silesia, in Czech Republic. GFG Liberty Ostrava steel plant operates a blast furnace (BF) and basic oxygen furnace (BOF).
The map below shows the exact location of the steel plant in Ostrava-Kunčice, in Czech Republic.
In November 2002, GFG Liberty announced plans to install two new hybrid furnaces at GFG Liberty Ostrava. The plan includes replacing the plant's existing four tandem furnaces with two hybrid furnaces by 2023. GFG Liberty reports that the new furnaces will reduce dust emissions by 60 percent. They also report that once the 400kV power line is installed by 2025, carbon emissions will be reduced by more than 50 percent as the furnaces will be able to use 70 percent scrap, reducing the plant's reliance on imported coal and iron.
- Alternative plant names: ArcelorMittal Ostrava a.s.
- Location: Vratimovská 689/117, 719 00 Ostrava-Kunčice, Czech Republic
- GPS Coordinates: 49.792139, 18.309875 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- State-owned entity status: N/A
- Parent company: Gfg Alliance Ltd [100%]
- Parent company PermID: 5057811578 [100%]
- Owner: Liberty Steel
- Owner company PermID: 5001068852
- Crude steel production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum): 3600.0
- Basic oxygen furnace / Blast furnace (BOF/BF): 3600
- Crude Iron production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum): 3200
- Steel product category: semi-finished; finished rolled
- Steel products: billets; slabs; sections; wire rod; hot strip; tubes
- Workforce size: 6000 (including off-site workers)
- ISO14001 certification year: 2019
- ISO50001 certification: N/A
- Main production equipment: blast furnace (BF) and basic oxygen furnace (BOF)
- Detailed production equipment: 3 coking plants; 5 sinter plants; 4 BF (2 operational; 1 began in 1952); 4 tandem BOF furnaces
Articles and Resources
- Liberty takes over Romanian steel plant in Galati under global deal, Romania Insider, Jul. 2, 2019
- Liberty Steel to install two hybrid furnaces at Ostrava, Steel Orbis, Nov. 11, 2020
- Contacts, Liberty Steel, Retrieved on: Mar. 3, 2020
- "Map of EU Steel Production" (PDF). Eurofer. Retrieved 2022-03-15.
- "Our Operations". Liberty Steel Group. Retrieved 2022-03-15.
- "GFG Alliance's Liberty Steel USA Further Expansion With Purchase Of Keystone Consolidated Industries". GFG Alliance. 2018. Retrieved 2022-03-15.
- A new force in steel, Liberty Steel, 2019
- "The Ostrava Mill Turns 70 Years Old". Liberty Steel Group. Retrieved 2022-03-15.
- "Coke Oven Plant". Liberty Steel Group. Retrieved 2022-03-15.
- "Operations and subsidiary companies". Liberty Steel Czech Republic. Retrieved 2022-03-15.
- "Rolling Mills". Liberty Steel Group. Retrieved 2022-03-15.
- Liberty Ostrava as, Liberty Steel, Retrieved on: Mar. 3, 2020
- "Liberty Ostrava A.S." DnB. Retrieved 2022-03-15.
- "System Certification of the Company". Liberty Steel Group. Retrieved 2022-03-15.
- "Liberty commits to $220 million Galati investment". EUROMETAL. 2019-09-23. Retrieved 2022-03-15.