Gare Palma II coal mine
Gare Palma-II coal mine is a proposed 15 million ton-per-annum (MTPA) coal mine in Chhattisgarh state, India.
The map below shows the location of the Gare Palma-IV mines, in Raigarh district, Chhattisgarh state. Gare Palma-II is located nearby.
Mahatamil Collieries, a joint venture of Maharashtra State Mining Corporation and Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation (TANGEDCO) is also proposing to establish the 3,000 megawatt Gare Pelma power station.
In 2006, TNEB, the predecessor of Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation (TANGEDCO), was allotted the Gare Palma Sector II coal block along with Maharashtra State Mining Corporation by the Ministry of Coal. The companies formed a joint venture company, Ltd (MTCL) to develop the coal deposit. As of late 2011 TANGEDCO stated that "detailed exploration work is being carried out" and "is likely to be completed by March 2012. It has been proposed to install a pithead power station utilizing TANGEDCO’s share of coal received from this mine."
TANGEDCO states that in August 2011 a Letter of Award (LOA) was issued to M/s. Lanco Infratech Ltd as Mine Developer and Operator (MDO) for both the mine and, using TANGEDCO's share of the coal, the power station. A news report states that the proposed power station would be 3,000 megawatts.
After the Supreme Court invalidated many coal block auctions due to a "fatally flawed" process, the block was reauctioned in March 2015. It received nine bids, but the auction was won in the end by Maharashtra State Mining Corporation.
- Sponsor: Maharashtra State Mining Corporation
- Parent company: State of Maharashtra
- Location: Raigarh district, Chhattisgarh state, India
- Coordinates: 22.11866, 83.53358 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed
- Capacity: 15 MTPA
- Reserves: 768 MT
- In service:
- Coal type:
- Mining method:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- TANGEDCO, "Arrangement of coal to meet the requirement of the thermal power stations of TANGEDCO", TANGEDCO website, accessed December 2011.
- Promit Mukherjeeee, "Lanco wins Gare Pelma II block, 3000 mw plant", Daily News & Analysis, March 22, 2011.
- Coal block re-allocation: States, PSUs get back lost mines, Business Standard, 25 Mar. 2015.
- Details of Blocks identified for allocation to Govt. companies / permissible end users, Ministry of Coal website, accessed May 2015.