Gazaria power station (Orion)
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Bangladesh and coal|
Gazaria power station (Orion), also known as the Daka-2 power station, is a proposed 700-megawatt (MW) coal-fired in Munshiganj District, Dhaka Division, Bangladesh, sponsored by the Orion Group.
The map below shows the proposed location for the plant in Gazaria Upazila, Munshganj District.
In April 2016, a consortium on companies signed a power purchase agreement with Bangladesh Power Development Board to built a 635 MW plant in Gazaria, Munshiganj district. The project is a part of a plan to install two coal-fired power plants in Dhaka and Chittagong regions, approved by the Cabinet Committee on Government Purchase on September 29, 2013. The consortium comprises the Orion Group, Fujian Zhongde Energy, and UAE-based Firstgen Energy. Under the agreement, the Power Development Board will purchase electricity for 25 years at Tk5.86 per kWh. According to Orion Group Chairman Mohammad Obaidul Karim, a contract has been signed with General Electric for boiler, turbine, and generator, and an EPC contract has been signed with Guangdong Electric Power Design Institute. The project has also received terms of reference approval for its EIA from the Department of Environment. The plant will use ultra-supercritical combustion technology.
Power from the plant will be purchased by the Power Development Board at a levelised tariff of US$0.0837 or Tk 6.69 per kilowatt hour, though the tariff might decrease to between Tk 5.86 and Tk 6 "in the context of falling price of coal in the global market," according to an Orion Group official.
As of October 2016 Orion Power was seeking environmental clearance for the project. According to the Orion Power website, the unit will be 700 MW gross (635 MW net). The company says it has "started implementation of the project at site."
With no developments since 2016, the project appears to be abandoned. On November 19, 2020, The Daily Star reported that Bangladesh's power, energy and mineral resources ministry had finalized an energy plan that cancelled all coal plants except five under construction. The Gazaria power station (Orion) will likely be formally cancelled as a result. The ministry will soon send the plan to the Prime Minister's Office for review.
- Sponsor: Orion Power Unit-2 Dhaka Limited
- Parent company: Orion Group, Fujian Zhongde Energy Co Ltd, and Firstgen Energy FZE
- Location: Gazaria Upazila, Munshganj District, Dhaka Division, Bangladesh
- Coordinates: 23.610950, 90.593350 (exact)
- Status: Cancelled
- Gross Capacity: 700 MW
- Type: Ultra-supercritical
- Projected in service: 2022
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: China or unspecified Export Credit Agency
Articles and resources
- Aminur Rahman Rasel, "Munshiganj to see 635MW coal power plant," DhakaTribune, April 22, 2016
- "Orion signs deal for 635MW coal-fired power plant in Munshiganj," Energy Central, April 24, 2016
- Aminur Rahman Rase, "Public meeting held for coal-based power plant in Munshiganj," Dhaka Tribune, October 15, 2016
- "Orion Power Dhaka Unit-2 Ltd.," Orion Group, accessed June 2019
- Roy, Pinaki (2020-11-19). "Future not coal power". The Daily Star. Retrieved 2020-11-19.
- 2016 Master Plan "Revisited", Bangladesh Power Division, Nov 2018