Glencore Surat CCS project
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of "clean coal."|
Glencore Surat CCS project is a proposal for a carbon (CO2) capture and storage (CCS) project in Queensland, Australia.
The proposed site is near Queensland’s Surat Basin, 200km from potential deep geological storage sites.
In August 2016 the Australian federal government awarded a grant of AUS$8.775 million (US$6.7m) to Glencore Carbon Transport and Storage Co.’s (CTSCo) integrated Surat Basin CCS project. CTSCo’s project would incorporate the design and construction of facilities at Glencore’s Glenhaven property for the injection and monitoring or carbon dioxide source from a post-combustion plant at an unnamed Queensland power station. The grant was under the Carbon Capture and Storage Research Development and Demonstration (CCS RD&D) Fund. The project is also supported by the coal industry’s ACALET fund.
- Surat CCS project, Carbon Transport and Storage Company (CTSCo)
- Sponsor: Carbon Transport and Storage Company (CTSCo)
- Parent company: Glencore
- Location: Near Wandoan, Surat Basin, Queensland, Australia
- Coordinates: -26.133333, 149.95 (approximate)
- Status: Announced
- Type: CCS
- Start date: 2020
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing: Australian federal government
- Permits and applications:
Articles and resources
- "Australian government to fund CCS research," World Coal, Aug 12, 2016
Related GEM.wiki articles
- Australia and coal
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Carbon Capture and Storage in Australia
- Carbon Capture and Storage demonstration projects worldwide
- "Wandoan Power Project - Proposed Pre-feasibility Funding", Department of Resources and Energy, February 11, 2010. (This is a copy of a departmental minute to the Minister which was released under a Freedom of Information request).
- Wandoan Power Consortium, [http://cdn.globalccsinstitute.com/sites/default/files/publications/20586/wandoan-power-project-pre-feasibility-study-knowledge-sharing-report.pdf "Wandoan Power Project
Pre-feasibility Study Knowledge Sharing Report"], June 2011.