Goonyella Riverside mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Goonyella Riverside mine is an open cut coal mine, operated by BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA), producing 17.1 million tonnes per annum, near Moranbah in the Bowen Basin in Queensland, Australia.
The mine is located in Moranbah in the Bowen Basin in Queensland, Australia. The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
The mine is owned and operated by BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA), a 50:50 joint venture between BHP Billiton and Mitsubishi Development. (BMA also operates the Peak Downs mine, Saraji mine, Norwich Park mine, Blackwater mine, the Gregory Crinum mine as well as the Hay Point Coal Terminal.
In 2015 BHP Mitsubishi Alliance was given permission for an extension to the Goonyella Riverside mine as part of the Red Hill coal project. Thi could mean that the Goonyella Riverside mine produces 18.5mtpa. Extracting a total of 32.5mtpa between the new Red Hill mine and the extended Goonyella Riverside mine.
- Parent Company: BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA)
- Location: Moranbah in the Bowen Basin in Queensland, Australia
- GPS Coordinates: -21.754015,147.973251 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 17.1 Mt/year
- Total Resource:
- Minable Reserves: 818 Mt 
- Coal type: Bituminous (coking coal)
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Surface, opencast
- Mining Method:
- Workforce Size: 591
- Start Year:1989
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- BHP Billiton, "About BMA", BHP Billiton website, accessed June 2010.
- Mine Report, accessed June 20, 2020
- BMA, "Red Hill Mining Lease EIS │Executive Summary",Red Hill Mining Lease Environmental Impact Statement, Executive Summary, Page 1, 2 July 2019.
- NS Energy BusinessGoonyella Riversiade Coal Mine, accessed June 19, 2020
- Form 20F SEC, accessed November 2020
- BHP Investor Reports, June 2002.
- BHP, Investor Presentation, June 2.