Grassy Mountain Coal Project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Grassy Mountain Coal Project is a proposed mine, to be operated by Riversdale Resources, to produce 4.5 million tonnes per annum, near Blairmore, Alberta, Canada.
The satellite photo below shows the approximate proposed mine site near Blairmore, Alberta, Canada.
Benga Mining Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Riversdale Resources Limited, is proposing to construct and operate an open-pit metallurgical coal mine near the Crowsnest Pass, approximately seven kilometres north of the community of Blairmore, in southwest Alberta. As proposed, the production capacity of the project would be a maximum of 4.5 million tonnes of clean coal per year, over a mine-life of about 25 years.
The permitting phase. The Alberta Energy Regulator (AER) issued a Notice of Application (NOA) on October 31, 2017. We expect the permitting decision to be made towards the start of 2020. Commercial production for public consumption is targeted to start Q1 2022 but is completely dependent on when a project regulatory decision has been made.
- Owner: Benga Mining Limited
- Parent company: Riversdale Resources Limited
- Location: Tumbler Ridge, British Columbia, Canada
- GPS coordinates: 49.68924,-114.41896 (approximate)
- Mine status: Proposed
- Start year: 2020
- Mineable reserves: 93 million tons
- Coal type:
- Mine size: 1,520.7 ha
- Mine type: Surface
- Production: 4.5 million tons per year
- Additional proposed production:
- Equipment: surface, open pit mining
- Number of employees: 400