Gunsan (Kunsan) Port is in North Jeolla Province, South Korea, located on the south bank of the Geum River just upstream from its exit into the Yellow Sea.
A new coal terminal started operating at the Port's Pier 7 in 2017.
Gunsan Port is in North Jeolla Province, South Korea, located on the south bank of the Geum River just upstream from its exit into the Yellow Sea.
Gunsan Port is owned by the government (Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries) and each pier is operated by shippers or unloaders. The port appears to consist of a total of 31 berths, a 6,756 meter long pier, and a loading and unloading capacity of 27.97 million tons of cargo.
The port handles coal. In 2014, a new coal handling terminal was expected by 2017.
New Coal Terminal (유연탄 부두)
In 2014, CJ Logistics was planning to invest about 140 billion won at Gunsan Port.
In 2017, construction on a new CJ Korea Express coal warehouse was completed at the Port.
In August 2017, CJ Korea Express, the operator of the Gunsan Port coal wharf, finished construction on a 3 million ton coal terminal on the 74th berth of Pier 7 at Gunsan Port. However, the terminal's opening appeared delayed because of tensions over "freighter-to-loader" rates with Hanwha Energy and other shippers.
The new coal terminal is at Pier 7 (a 30,000-ton class 1 berth) reportedly started operating in September 2017. As of September 2018, approximately 1.37 million tons of coal had been processed.
- Operator: Gunsan District Maritime and Port Authority
- Location: North Jeolla Province, South Korea
- Total Cargo Capacity (Million tonnes per annum): 28
- New Coal Capacity (Million tonnes per annum): 3 (In Service: 2017)
- Status: Operating
- Type: Imports
- Source of Coal:
- Cost of Expansion: US$125 million
- Financing for Expansion:
Articles and resources
- "군산항 물동량 증대방안 연구," Jeonbuk Institute, 2018
- "CJ Group to invest 180 billion won in Gunsan and Mokpo area to boost domestic market," WhoWiredKorea, September 29, 2014
- "군산국가산업단지 인입철도, 항만 물동량 증가 미지수," JJAN, August 4, 2021
- "군산, 군산항선 개통으로 환황해권 물류 거점 도약한다," Asiae, December 10, 2020
- "CJ, 군산·목포에 석탄하역 전용부두 구축…1800억 투자," Asiae, September 29, 2014
- "Coal storage plant Construction at Gunsan Port," Hyundai Engineering, accessed October 2021
- "군산 석탄부두 개장 앞두고 화주-하역사 요율 놓고 ‘신경전’," jeollailbo, August 21, 2017