Han Seng coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Han Seng coal mine owned by Han Seng Coal Mine Company is an operating mine, designed to produce approximately 1 million tonnes of coal per annum in Oddar Meanchey Province, Cambodia.
The mine will supply coal to the Han Seng power station.
In January 2021, the mine began operating. It currently supplies coal to nearby brick factories until the power plant completes construction.
The map below shows Trapeang Prasath District, the approximate location of the mine and plant.
Background on Project
Cambodian mineral exploration company Han Seng Coal Mine has proposed a 2 x 100MW coal plant in Oddar Meanchey Province, Cambodia. Unit 1 is planned for operation in November 2020 and unit 2 in November 2021.
In March 2020, it was reported the plant would generate 130 MW in 2021 and increase to 265 MW in 2022. The National Assembly of Cambodia has approved a draft provision of a state guarantee for the power project. If built, the plant will be the first in the country to use coal from Cambodia.
In October 2020, the Council for the Development of Cambodia approved an investment certificate for the plant.
In February 2020, it was announced that the total investment capital for the project would be $294.30 million, "of which 30 per cent is from the company’s fund and the remaining 70 per cent is a bank loan with an interest rate of 6.5 per cent," but the source of the loan is not provided.
- Sponsor: Han Seng Coal Mine
- Parent company:
- Location: Trapeang Prasath District, Oddar Meanchey Province, Cambodia
- Coordinates: 14.1857983, 104.3192826 (approximate)
- Status: Operating
- Production: 0.8-1 million tonnes in capacity (to supply 265 MW)
- Start date: 2021-2022
- Coal Type:
- Consumer: Han Seng power station
- Source of financing: US$88.29 million in equity from Han Seng Coal Mine; US$206 million in debt from banks
- Permits and applications:
Articles and resources
- Peter Carlisle, Coal Extraction In Cambodia’s Northern Province Of Oddar Meanchey Begins, 265-Megawatt Coal-Fired Power Plant Currently Under Construction, Thailand Construction News, January 8 2021
- "Koh Kong’s First Coal-fired Plant Up In The Air: Ministry," B2B, 16/09/2019
- "Royal Group gets nod for 700mW coal fired power plant from National Assembly - Khmer Times". Khmer Times. 2020-03-26. Retrieved 2020-04-01.
- Vichey, Sor (2020-10-23). "CDC Approves 265-megawatt Coal-fired Power Plant Project in Oddar Meanchey Province". AKP. Retrieved 2020-10-28.
- "Royal Group to invest $1.5 billion in 700 MWs coal fired power plant". Khmer Times. February 10, 2020.