Houaphanh coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Houaphanh coal mine is a proposed 1.5 million tonne per annum mine, owned by China International Water & Electric Corporation, in Houaphanh province, Laos.
The mine would provide power to the proposed Houaphanh power station
The photo below shows Houaphanh province, the approximate location where the mine and plant would be built.
In December 2012, the Laos government signed a deal with China International Water & Electric Corporation for the Houaphanh coal project: a coal mine with a production capacity of 1.5 million tons, equipped with a 2×300MW pithead thermal power plant. The geological exploration report was approved by the Mineral Resources Reserve Center of the Ministry of Land and Resources on August 14, 2015. It is planned to start construction in 2016 and be commissioned in 2020.
In April 2016, it was reported that Long Van Limited Company of Vietnam signed a contract with authorities in Laos to search and mine for coal in the northeastern province of Huaphan, Laos. Long Van Limited Company said that an initial survey across an area of 600 hectares showed there is an estimated 60 million tonnes of coal, which will be used for a US$200-million power plant in Laos. The size of the coal plant is not stated.
In May 2018, project sponsor China International Water & Electric Corporation went to inspect the site for the project.
In 2019, another pre-feasibility study for the project was carried out. Participants included China International Engineering Consulting Co., China Water Resources and Electric Power Co., Shaanxi Coal Industry and Chemical Group Co., and Guangzhou Development Group Co.
- Sponsor: China International Water & Electric Corporation
- Parent company: China Three Gorges Corporation
- Location: Houaphanh province, Laos
- Coordinates: 20.424206, 104.050747 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed (pre-permit development)
- Production: 1.5 million tonnes per annum
- Mineable Reserve: 60 million tonnes
- Mine Type: Surface, opencast
- Coal Type:
- Start Year: 2020
- Consumer: Houaphanh power station, mine mouth
- Source of financing:
Resources and articles
- "老挝华潘煤电一体化项目召开可研报告专家评审会," China International Water & Electric Corporation website, 2015-10-27
- "Vietnamese firm signs deal with Laos to work on 60 million ton coal mine," VN Express, April 28, 2016
- "老挝政府副总理一行视察华潘煤电一体化项目," China International Water & Electric Corporation website, 2018-05-23
- "杨浩一行参加老挝华潘煤电评审会," 更新时间, 2019-06-18