Hutton coking coal project
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The Hutton coking coal project is a mine proposed by Valiant Resources, producing 24 million tonnes per annum, with potential expansion plans for 55 million tonnes per annum, in the southern area of the Bowen Basin in Queensland, Australia.
The proposal consists of five defined mining areas. The initial focus of Valiant is on mining large volumes of Semi Hard Coking Coal and Semi Soft Coking Coal and bringing Mining Areas 2 & 1.
The status of the project remains unclear. The CEO and senior officials have touted the project as ongoing in 2018 and 2019, saying "Valiant’s short term goal is to advance the Hutton Coking Coal Project into the Pre-Feasibility Stage and to concurrently raise the status of the tenements to a Mining Lease application."
The map below shows the approximate location of the proposed mine.
Valiant proposes building the Hutton Rail Project, a 189km greenfield rail link to Moura rail system to transport coal from the Hutton mine to ports for export. The proposed railway and two spurs would open up the Surat Basin for exploitation and transport of coal, from Hutton, Dawson West, Ridgeland, Taroom, Elimatta coal mine and Wandoan Coal Project. The Surat Basin Rail project could also provide a transportation route for the coal, but has been at a standstill since 2012 due to depressed coal prices. One of the four proponents involved in the rail project, ATEC Rail Group Limited, said in its last update of the project that its time frame was "uncertain".
- Sponsor: Valient Resources
- Parent Company:
- Location: 25 km east of Injune, 65 km north east of Roma, Queensland
- GPS Coordinates: -25.951645, 148.961201 (approximate)
- Status: Proposed
- Production Capacity: 24 mtpa (If all five mine areas went ahead 49-55 mtpa).
- Total Resource: 5.35 billion tonnes
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: Coking coal
- Mine Size: 1,469 sq km
- Mine Type: Underground
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Valiant Resources, "Hutton Coking Coal Project Overview", Valient Resources website, accessed 31 October 2019.
- Stephen Roux, Speakers, Energy Mines and Money Conference, 2018
- Peter Vobr, Speakers, Energy Mines and Money Conference, 2019
- Valiant Resources, "Hutton Rail Project", Valiant Resources website, accessed 31 October 2019.
- Gladstone Observer, "Gladstone rail link, billions of dollars needed for mega mine "10 august 2017.
- Valiant Resources, "Hutton Coking Coal Project", Valiant Resources website, accessed 31 October 2019.