Convent Marine Terminal
The Convent Marine Terminal is in an international coal export terminal in Convent, Louisiana.
The Convent Marine Terminal is located at Milepost 161 on the east bank of the Mississippi River at Convent, Louisiana.
In June 2011, Canadian National Railway (CNR) said it will sell assets of its indirect subsidiary, IC RailMarine Terminal Co, for US$73 million to an affiliate of Foresight Energy and the Cline Group, both owned by billionaire Chris Cline. Foresight will expand the capacity of the Convent Marine Terminal to eight million tons of export coal per year, from a current capacity of approximately four million tons. CNR said it had entered a related 10-year coal transportation agreement with another affiliate of Foresight and Cline - Savatran LLC - to haul coal from four Illinois mines to the Convent facility. Foresight Energy has about 2.7 billion tonnes of coal reserves and coal production from four mining complexes in Illinois.
In 2015 SunCoke Energy Partners acquired the US$412 million Convent Marine Terminal from Raven Energy Holdings LLC, an affiliate of The Cline Group. The terminal had a reported capacity of 10 mtpa, most of which is shipped to Europe. There are plans to increase capacity to 15 mtpa.
In 2016 SunCoke added a new shiploader to the facility, increasing its capacity to 15 mtpa.
- Owner: SunCoke Energy
- Location: Convent, Louisiana
- Capacity (Million tonnes per annum): 15
- Status: Operating
- Start year:
- Type: Exports (Europe)
- Coal source: Illinois
Articles and resources
- "CN to sell IC RailMarine Terminal's assets to Raven Energy" Progressive Railroading, June 16, 2011.
- "Convent coal export terminal sells for $412 million," The Advocate, July 25, 2015
- Sylvie Cornot-Gandolphe “US Coal Exports: The Long Road to Asian Markets,” Oxford OIES PAPER: CL 2, March 2015
- "Convent Marine Terminal: Investor Tour," SunCoke, September 27, 2017
Related GEM.wiki articles