Irkutsk-9 power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Irkutsk-9 power station is a 475-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Irkutsk province, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is in the city of Angarsk, in Angarsky district, Irkutsk province. It is located alongside the Argansk oil refinery.
Background on Plant
The eight-unit, 475-MW coal-fired Irkutsk-9 power station is owned by Irkutskenergo which is 90.2% owned by En+Group. The plant was initially built with an intention to provide power for the Argansk oil refinery. Today the combined heat-and-power station is providing steam, heat and electricity to local residents, as well as to the largest industrial enterprise in the city - the Angarsk Petrochemical Company (Argansk oil refinery).
The plant’s eight units were brought online between 1963 and 1983. In December 2019 Irkutskenergo announced that it planned to sell its coal plants and other coal assets, possibly to Gazprom Energoholding LLC, which would facilitate the conversion of these plants to gas.
In December 2019 Irkutskenergo announced that it planned to sell its power plant holdings to its subsidiary Baikal Energy Company for 27 billion rubles. The sale was finalized and these holdings were transferred on Sep. 1, 2020.
Decommissioning of the Irkutsk-9 Station 1 power station
In May 2021, Irkutsk-9 Station 1 power station was decommissioned, and its load was transferred to the Irkutsk-9 power station. The transfer project cost RUR 3.45 billion and took 7 years to complete, from 2013 until 2021.
- Sponsor: Baikal Energy Group
- Parent company: En+Group
- Location: Angarsk, Angarsky district, Irkutsk province, Russia
- Coordinates: 52.532797, 103.937311 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 475 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- In service: 1963-83
- Coal type: Sub-bituminous
- Coal source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Иркутская ТЭЦ-9 (Ангарск), Wikimapia, accessed June 2018.
- "Иркутская ТЭЦ-9". Energybase.ru. Retrieved Dec 27, 2021.
- Irkutsk TPS-9 Thermal Power Plant Russia, Global Energy Observatory, accessed June 2018.
- Russian energy giant looks to shed coal assets, reports say, Bellona, Dec. 5, 2019
- Приход "Газпрома" и повышение тарифов, Irkutsk Media, Feb. 3, 2020
- Иркутскэнерго продаст дочке весь теплогенерирующий и сетевой комплекс Иркутской области, Neftegaz, Dec. 31, 2019.
- В Иркутской области статус ресурсоснабжающей организации присвоен "Байкальской энергетической компании", sia.ru, Oct. 8, 2020
- Anna Amgeiser, Twice as efficient: Angarsk CHPP-9 took over the entire load from CHPP-1, BABR 24, May 24, 2021
- "Масштабный проект по тепловой генерации реализовала в Иркутской области En+ Group". Oblastnaya Gazeta. May 26, 2021. Retrieved Dec 27, 2021.