Kattupalli power station
Kattupalli power station is a proposed 1,320-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station in Tamil Nadu, India, sponsored by Chennai Power Generation Limited.
The undated satellite photo below shows Ennore Port. The power station is proposed for 4 km north of the port, at Kattupalli and Kalanji villages in Ponneri Taluk.
The original proposal was for a 1,000 MW gas plant fueled by a proposed LNG terminal to be built by Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation (TIDCO). An MoU for that project was signed with the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board in 1995, and environmental clearance obtained in 1997, using naphtha as the fuel.
TIDCO later dropped plans for the LNG terminal, and Chennai Power proposed a power station fueled by imported coal instead. That proposal was issued a terms of reference (ToR) in 2009, but faced conflict as the land requirement overlapped with the proposed North Chennai Thermal Power Station expansion. There was legal disputes as the North Chennai project was given environmental clearance over the Kattupalli project. During that time the ToR for the Kattupalli project expired, and Chennai Power applied for a new ToR in June 2015.
In the new ToR, Chennai Power Generation Limited applied to build a 2 x 515 MW sub-critical power station fueled by imported coal envisaged to be brought from Indonesia and Australia. The plant would be located at Kattupalli and Kalanji villages in Ponneri Taluk, about 4 kilometers north of the Ennore Port.
In June 2016, the MoEFFCC issued a fresh terms of reference for the project proposal, which was changed to supercritical combustion technology and re-sized to 2 x 660 MW. Unlike the original proposal, the new proposal avoids any use of lands controlled by North Chennai Power Company, which refused to provide lands for the project.
As of June 2020 the project has not received environmental clearance, and appears cancelled.
- Sponsor: Chennai Power Generation Limited
- Parent: General Mediterranean Holding SA SPF London
- Location: Kattupalli and Kalanji villages, Ponneri Taluk, Thiruvallur district, Tamil Nadu
- Coordinates: 13.258618, 80.340732 (approximate)
- Status: Cancelled
- Capacity: 1,320 MW (Units 1&2: 660 MW)
- Type: Supercritical
- Projected in service:
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Imported (Indonesia, Australia)
- Source of financing:
- Permits and applications: Terms of Reference MoEFFCC, 10 June 2016
Articles and resources
- "Request for revised ToR: Brief summary of the project," Chennai Power Generation Limited, Aug 30, 2015
- Terms of Reference MoEFFCC, 10 June 2016