Kattupalli power station
Kattupalli power station is a proposed 900-megawatt (MW) LNG-fired power plant in Tamil Nadu, India, sponsored by Chennai Power Generation Limited.
The previous proposal for a 1,320 MW coal-fired power station is cancelled.
The map below shows the approximate location of the power station in Kattupalli and Kalanji villages, Ponneri Taluk, Thiruvallur district, Tamil Nadu.
The original proposal was for a 1,000 MW gas plant fueled by a proposed LNG terminal to be built by Tamil Nadu Industrial Development Corporation (TIDCO). An MoU for that project was signed with the Tamil Nadu Electricity Board in 1995, and environmental clearance obtained in 1997, using naphtha as the fuel.
TIDCO later dropped plans for the LNG terminal, and Chennai Power proposed a power station fueled by imported coal instead. That proposal was issued a terms of reference (ToR) in 2009, but faced conflict as the land requirement overlapped with the proposed North Chennai Thermal Power Station expansion. There was legal disputes as the North Chennai project was given environmental clearance over the Kattupalli project. During that time the ToR for the Kattupalli project expired, and Chennai Power applied for a new ToR in June 2015.
In the new ToR, Chennai Power Generation Limited applied to build a 2 x 515 MW sub-critical power station fueled by imported coal envisaged to be brought from Indonesia and Australia. The plant would be located at Kattupalli and Kalanji villages in Ponneri Taluk, about 4 kilometers north of the Ennore Port.
In June 2016, the MoEFFCC issued a fresh terms of reference for the project proposal, which was changed to supercritical combustion technology and re-sized to 2 x 660 MW. Unlike the original proposal, the new proposal avoids any use of lands controlled by North Chennai Power Company, which refused to provide lands for the project.
As of June 2020 the project has not received environmental clearance, and appears cancelled.
Gas Power Plant
- Sponsor: Chennai Power Generation Limited
- Parent: General Mediterranean Holding SA SPF London
- Location: Kattupalli and Kalanji villages, Ponneri Taluk, Thiruvallur district, Tamil Nadu
- Coordinates: 13.32321, 80.33524 (approximate)
- Gross generating capacity (proposed):
- Gross generating capacity (cancelled): 1,320 MW
- Unit 1: Coal fired, Supercritical, 660 MW
- Unit 2: Coal fired, Supercritical, 660 MW
- Coal Source: Imported (Indonesia, Australia)
- Source of financing:
- Coal Permits and applications: Terms of Reference MoEFFCC, 10 June 2016
Articles and resources
- "Request for revised ToR: Brief summary of the project," Chennai Power Generation Limited, Aug 30, 2015
- Terms of Reference MoEFFCC, 10 June 2016
- Brief Summary of the Project, NIC, 2018
- MINUTES OF THE 1st MEETING OF THE RE-CONSTITUTED EXPERT APPRAISAL COMMITTEE (EAC) ON ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT ASSESSMENT (EIA) OF THERMAL POWER PROJECTS , NIC, Jul 28, 2020
- RLNG to fuel proposed 900-MW power plant, The New Indian Express, Aug 13, 2020
- Brief Summary of the Project, NIC, accessed Aug 20, 2021