Kemerovskaya GRES power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Kemerovskaya GRES power station (also known as Kemerovskaya SDPS power station) is a 485-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Kemerovo province, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is in Kemerovo city, Kemerovsky district, Kemerovo province.
Background on Plant
The Kemerovskaya GRES plant was approved for construction in 1929 by the Soviet Council of Labor and Defense, under the country's first five-year plan. Construction of the coal-fired electrical plant was completed in 1934, with 10 units with a total capacity of 485 MW in 2007. The Kemerovskaya GRES plant is a cogeneration plant, producing both electricity and heat for nearby industrial facilities. The plant is currently owned by the Soviet-era company Kuzbassenergo (TGC-12), a subsidiary of the Siberian Coal Energy Company (SUEK). Coal for the power station is primarily sourced from the Kuzbass basin.
In 2017 the plant was found to be emitting pollution in excess of legal limits: 145% the limit for nitrous oxide and 131% the limit for sulfuric anhydride. The plant was fined 80,000 rubles by the Central District Court of Kemerovo and ordered to come into compliance with these limits by Jan. 1, 2019. In May 2019 it was announced that the plant would be upgraded to use dry storage for coal ash and slag in an attempt to reduce pollution. The upgrade would allow the plant to operate for a further 19 years.
In 2021, the issue of pollution seemed to remain unresolved. One woman from the area around the Kemerovskaya GRES power station complained about pollution and smog from the plant to the government, stating that the smog is often so bad that residents don't see the sun for months at a time.
- Sponsor: Kuzbassenergo (TGC-12)
- Parent company: Siberian Coal Energy Company (SUEK)
- Location: Kemerovo city, Kemerovsky district, Kemerovo province
- Coordinates: 55.367655, 86.069426 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 485 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- In service:
- Coal type: Bituminous
- Coal source: Kuzbass Basin
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Кузбасский филиал, Kuzbassenergo website, accessed Feb. 2014.
- OAO Kuzbassenergo (TGC-12) power generating assets geography as of January 1st, 2010, SUEK website, accessed Feb. 2014.
- Кемеровская ГРЭС, Wikipedia (Russian), accessed June 2018.
- Kemerovskaya SDPS Power Plant Russia, Global Energy Observatory, accessed June 2018.
- О предприятии, sibgenco.ru, accessed June 2021
- КЕМЕРОВСКУЮ ГРЭС ОБЯЗАЛИ СНИЗИТЬ ВРЕДНЫЕ ВЫБРОСЫ В ВОЗДУХ, gazeta.a42.ru, Jul. 11, 2018
- На Кемеровской ГРЭС реконструируют золошлакоотвал, Glavgosexpertiza of Russia Press Service, May 30, 2019
- "We don't see the sun for months": the Ministry of Natural Resources of Kuzbass responded to the claims of the townspeople due to emissions, Sibdepo, Apr. 22, 2021