Kemerovskaya GRES power station
|This article is part of the Global Energy Monitor coverage of Russia and coal|
Kemerovskaya GRES power station (Кемеровская ГРЭС, also known as Kemerovskaya SDPS power station) is a 485-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power plant in Kemerovo province, Russia.
The undated satellite photo below shows the plant, which is in Kemerovo city, Kemerovsky district, Kemerovo province.
Background on Plant
The 485-MW plant is owned by Kuzbassenergo (TGC-12), a subsidiary of the Siberian Coal Energy Company (SUEK). Coal of Russian Grade D for the power station is primarily sourced from the Kuzbass basin.
The Kemerovskaya GRES plant was approved for construction in 1929 by the Soviet Council of Labor and Defense, under the country's first five-year plan. Construction of the first unit was completed in 1934. The Kemerovskaya GRES is a cogeneration plant, producing both electricity and heat for nearby industrial facilities and residential areas.
As of November 2022, the power plant has 9 units ranging from 10MW to 110MW, according to the company website (as of November 2022). There is some discrepancy with the capacity of units when compared to another source.
In the last twenty years (since 2000s), the power plant's equipment was significantly modernized. In the turbine halls, most of the equipment has been replaced such as turbine units, electrical and metering equipment. As of June 2022, SUEK also cites "large-scale revamp at Kemerovskaya GRES, where t is clear that the equipment is far from young, dating back to the 1970s".  "The existing electrostatic precipitators have served out their service life and it is time "or serious upgrades, which will start in 2023. The complexity is associated not with finance, but with a very limited space: we are constrained by existing equipment, and we need to fit into it."
In 2021 the plant generated 1,372 million kWh of electricity, in 2020 it was 1,438 million kWh.
As of May 2022, there were no plans to convert this power station to natural gas.
In 2017 the plant was found to be emitting pollution in excess of legal limits: 145% the limit for nitrous oxide and 131% the limit for sulfuric anhydride. The plant was fined 80,000 rubles by the Central District Court of Kemerovo and ordered to come into compliance with these limits by Jan. 1, 2019. In May 2019 it was announced that the plant would be upgraded to use dry storage for coal ash and slag in an attempt to reduce pollution. The upgrade would allow the plant to operate for a further 19 years.
In 2021, the issue of pollution seemed to remain unresolved. One woman from the area around the Kemerovskaya GRES power station complained about pollution and smog from the plant to the government, stating that the smog is often so bad that residents don't see the sun for months at a time.
In October 2022, local residents reported high levels of noise and heavy smoke around the plant (video available), it was clarified that this is due to the fine-tuning of boiler 15 after its repairs.
- Owner: Kuzbassenergo (TGC-12)
- Parent company: Siberian Coal Energy Company (SUEK)
- Location: Kemerovo city, Kemerovsky district, Kemerovo province
- Coordinates: 55.367655, 86.069426 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Gross capacity: 485 MW
- Type: Subcritical
- In service:
- Coal type: Subbituminous
- Coal source: Kuzbass Basin
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Кемеровская ГРЭС, Wikipedia (Russian), accessed June 2018.
- Sibgenco. "КЕМЕРОВСКАЯ ГРЭС". Retrieved November 2022 via the Wayback Machine. Check date values in:
- Kemerovskaya SDPS Power Plant Russia, Global Energy Observatory, accessed June 2018.
- "SUEK continues energy capacity upgrade". suek.com. June 30, 2022.
- "Производственные итоги 2021 года: выработка электроэнергии и тепла растет". sibgenco.online. January 14, 2021.
- ""Кратковременные выбросы допустимы": губернатор Кузбасса рассказал, почему Кемеровская ГРЭС загрязняет воздух". sibdepo.ru. May 17, 2022. Retrieved Jun 15, 2022.
- КЕМЕРОВСКУЮ ГРЭС ОБЯЗАЛИ СНИЗИТЬ ВРЕДНЫЕ ВЫБРОСЫ В ВОЗДУХ, gazeta.a42.ru, Jul. 11, 2018
- На Кемеровской ГРЭС реконструируют золошлакоотвал, Glavgosexpertiza of Russia Press Service, May 30, 2019
- "We don't see the sun for months": the Ministry of Natural Resources of Kuzbass responded to the claims of the townspeople due to emissions, Sibdepo, Apr. 22, 2021
- "Жуткий шум и пар: плановые работы на Кемеровской ГРЭС испугали горожан". sibdepo.ru. October 7, 2022.