Llanos Oil Pipeline

From Global Energy Monitor
This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.

Llanos Oil Pipeline is an oil pipeline in Colombia, known as Oleoducto de los Llanos Orientales in Spanish.


Collecting oil from the Rubiales, Quifa, and Pirirí oil fields, the Llanos Oil Pipeline runs from the Rubiales pumping station in Meta department to the Monterrey and CFP Cusiana stations in Casanare department, from where it can be transported to Coveñas, Sucre for export.[1][2][3]

Loading map...

Project Details

  • Operator: Oleoducto de los Llanos Orientales S.A. (ODL)[4]
  • Owner: Cenit SAS (65%)[5][6][7], PIL-Pipeline Investment Ltd (35%)[8]
  • Parent company: Ecopetrol SA (65%)[5][9][10], Frontera Energy Corporation (35%)[8]
  • Current capacity: 305,000 bpd[9]
  • Length: 260 km[8][9]
  • Diameter: 24 inches[4]
  • Status: Operating
  • Start Year: 2009[2]


The pipeline, originally launched as a joint venture between Ecopetrol and Pacific Rubiales[11], was commissioned in 2009 and cost an estimated US$560 million.[2] Ecopetrol remains the pipeline's majority shareholder, with a 65% stake[10], while the remaining 35% is controlled by Pacific Midstream Limited, a subsidiary of Canada's Frontera Energy Corporation.[8][12][13]

The pipeline was affected by a drop in oil production in May 2021 due to weeks of protests.[14]

Articles and resources


  2. 2.0 2.1 2.2 Presidente inaugura el Oleoducto de los Llanos Orientales, Dinero, Sep. 14, 2009
  3. "Mapa Oleoducto de los Llanos Orientales". ODL. Retrieved 2020-08-17.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  4. 4.0 4.1 "D&E-CRUDOS-MME-481-2017 (p 50)" (PDF). Ministerio de Minas y Energía. December 18, 2017.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  5. 5.0 5.1 "Special Group Report 2021 - Integrated Sustainable Management Report (p 28)" (PDF). Ecopetrol SA. March 22, 2022.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  6. "Mapa de infraestructura petrolera en Colombia" (PDF). Cenit Transporte y Logística de Hidrocarburos. Retrieved 2023-03-04.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  7. "Ecopetrol S.A. announces agreement between its subsidiaries Cenit and Bicentenario and Frontera". PR Newswire. November 17, 2020.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  8. 8.0 8.1 8.2 8.3 "Annual Information Form for the Year Ended December 31, 2022 (p 17)" (PDF). Frontera Energy. March 1, 2023.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  9. 9.0 9.1 9.2 "Ecopetrol S.A. 2021 Form 20-F (pp 48, 65, 99)". US Securities & Exchange Commission. April 25, 2022.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  10. 10.0 10.1 "Subsidiaries of Ecopetrol S.A." United States Securities and Exchange Commission. March 31, 2020.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  11. "Colombia heavy oil pipeline starts operations". World Oil. September 15, 2009.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  12. "Frontera Energy to Fully Acquire Pacific Midstream by Buying Up Outstanding Shares for $225 Million USD". Finance Colombia. October 16, 2017.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  13. "Frontera Energy ends deal to buy full ownership of Pacific Midstream". NS Energy Business. July 10, 2018.{{cite web}}: CS1 maint: url-status (link)
  14. "As Colombia Protests Rage On, 'Almost All' Energy Companies Impacted - Natural Gas Intelligence". Natural Gas Intelligence. 2021-05-20. Retrieved 2021-07-16.

Related GEM.wiki articles

External resources

External articles