Mangoola coal mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Mangoola Coal mine is surface mine, operated by Mangoola Coal Operations Pty. Limited, a subsidiary of Glencore, producing 13.5 million tonnes per annum, near Wybong in the Upper Hunter Valley of New South Wales, Australia.
The satellite photo below shows the exact location of the mine in Hunter Valley, New South Wales, Australia
On its website Xstrata Coal states that " Approval to construct and operate the Mangoola open cut coal mine was granted by the NSW Minister of Planning on 7 June 2007. In October 2007, Xstrata Coal purchased the mine. Xstrata Mangoola Pty Limited manages the mine on behalf of Xstrata Coal. Xstrata Mangoola is approved to extract and process up to 10.5 million tonnes per annum of coal from an undeveloped coal reserve at Mangoola for a period of 21 years from the granting of the mining lease on 20 November 2008."
In August 2019, the environmental group Lock the Gate announced its opposition to the mine on the grounds that its expansion would accelerate further damage to the Wybong village and intensify the region's economic dependence on the industry. Georgina Woods, a Lock the Gate Alliance spokesperson, expresses her disapproval: “The noise and dust from the mine has depopulated the district and those people that remain suffer physically and emotionally as a result.”
- Sponsor: Mangoola Coal Operations Pty. Limited
- Parent Company: Glencore
- Location: Near Wybong, New South Wales (NSW), approximately 20 kilometres (km) west of Muswellbrook, and approximately 10 km north of Denman in the Muswellbrook Local Government Area (LGA)
- GPS Coordinates: -32.294922, 150.706712 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 13.5 mtpa of product coal
- Total Resource: 180 million tonnes
- Mineable Reserves: 81 million tonnes
- Coal type: Thermal coal
- Mine Size:
- Mine Depth: 50m
- Mine Type: Open-cut
- Workforce Size:340 
- Start Year: 1999
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Xstrata Coal, "Narama", Xstrata Coal website, accessed August 2010.
- Mangoola madness: Coal mine extension must be rejected to save community, Lock the Gate Alliance website, August 27, 2019.
- About Us, Glencore Mangoola Open Cut, Accessed January 29, 2020
- Glencore Plc, Resources Reserves Report, 2017
- Mangoola Coal Project