Xstrata Coal is a subsidiary of Xstrata and describes itself as "the world's largest exporter of thermal coal and one of the largest producers of hard coking coal. Headquartered in Sydney, Xstrata Coal has interests in more than 30 operating coal mines throughout Australia, South Africa and the Americas."
In its 2009 annual report, Xstrata reported that its coal subsidiary generated $7,547m which represented 32% of the company's total revenue. Xstrata Coal contributed $3,013 million to the groups operating Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA), which represented 43% of the group's total. In 2009 Xstrata Coal employed 10,009 staff (excluding contractors).
In April 2011, Xstrata said it may increase coal output by about 80 percent within five years to meet rising demand, raising annual output to about 145 million metric tons by 2016, from 82 million tons in 2010.
Existing coal mines
Xstrata coal lists its current operating coal mines, along with the mining method and the company's stake in the project, as being:
Australia - New South Wales
- Westside Colliery, open cut, 80%; 
- West Wallsend Colliery, Undergound, 80%; 
- Bulga Coal, Open cut, 68.25%; 
- Beltana mine, Underground, 68.25%; 
- United mine, Underground, 95%; 
- Narama mine, Open cut, 100%; 
- Mangoola Coal mine, Open cut, 100%; 
- Mt Owen mine, Open cut, 100%; 
- Liddell Colliery, Open cut, 67.5%; 
- Cumnock mine, Open cut, 100%; 
- Ravensworth mine, Open cut, 100%; 
- Ulan Coal mine, Underground and open cut, 90%; 
- Baal Bone mine, Underground and open cut, 74.1%; 
Australia - Queensland
- Collinsville Coal mine, Open cut, 55%; 
- Newlands Coal, Underground and open cut, 55%; 
- Oaky Creek Coal, Underground, 55%; 
- Rolleston Coal, Open Cut, 75%; 
- Spitzkop, Underground & open cut, 79.8%;
- Tselentis, Underground & open cut, 79.8%;
- Arthur Taylor Colliery (ATC), Underground, 79.8%;
- ATCOM, Opencast, 79.8%;
- Phoenix, Underground, 79.8%;
- Tavistock, Underground, 79.8%;
- Middelburg, Opencast, 12.8%;
- Douglas, Underground & open cut, 12.8%;
- Waterpan, Opencast, 79.8%;
- Boschmans, Underground, 79.8%;
- Witcons, Underground, 79.8%;
- Goedgevonden Mine, Opencast, 74%;
- South Witbank, Underground, 79.8%;
- Cerrejon coal mine, Open cut, 33.3%;
Proposed coal mines
New South Wales
- Cardiff Borehole coal project, 80%; 
- Mitchell's Flat coal project, 100%; 
- Glendell coal project, 100%; 
- Running Stream coal project, 78%; 
- Peter Freyberg CEO Xstrata Coal
Xstrata Coal head office
1 Macquarie Place
Sydney NSW 2000 Australia
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Commodity Businesses", Xtstrata website, accessed October 2008.
- Xstrata, "Performance by business: Coal", 2009 Annual Report, Xstrata, 2010.
- Firat Kayakiran, "Xstrata May Raise Coal Output About 80% by 2016, Nomura Says" Bloomberg, April 4, 2011.
- Xstrata Coal, "Operations", Xstrata Coal website, accessed August 2010.
- Xstrata, "Peter Coates to retire as CEO Xstrata Coal", Media Release, October 30, 2007.
- "Lobbyist details: Dale Fitzell & Associates Pty Ltd", Department of Premier and Cabinet, July 2, 1010.
- Peter Coates, "Xstrata Coal: Queensland Major Projects: Wandoan Coal Project", Xstrata, August 3, 2007.
- Peter Coates, "Xstrata in focus", UBS Resources Coal Conference, November 8, 2007.
- Peter Freyberg, CE Xstrata Coal, "Xstrata Coal - Analyst Lunch", Xstrata, April 30, 2008.
- Peter Freyberg, CE Xstrata Coal, "Xstrata Coal - Emission Trading Scheme, A Coal Industry Perspective Conference", Xstrata, June 20, 2008.
- Peter Freyberg, Chief Executive, Garry Beck, General Manager Marketing, Murray Houston, Executive General Manager XCSA and Mark Eames, Chief Development Officer, 'Steaming Ahead', Analyst Visit to Australasia, Xstrata Coal, Hunter Valley, New South Wales, Australia, Xstrata, May 28, 2009.
- Peter Freyberg (CEO Xstrata Coal), "Analyst Presentation Xstrata Coal, Witbank, South Africa", Xstrata Coal, August 13, 2009.
- Ian Pearce, Chief Executive Xstrata Nickel; Peter Freyberg, Chief Executive Xstrata Coal and Mick Davis, Chief Executive Officer Xstrata plc, "Progressing Xstrata's Strategy: The Growth Within", Xstrata, Investor Seminar 2009 - Xstrata Coal and Xstrata Nickel, December 8, 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|