Mt Owen mine
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
The Mt Owen mine is one of three open cut mines which form the Mt Owen Complex at Hebden in the Upper Hunter Valley of New South Wales, approximately 25 kilometres northwest of Singleton, and 26 kilometres southeast of Muswellbrook. The other two pits are the Ravensworth East and Glendell open cut coal mines.
Mt Owen mine is owned by Glencore and operated by Thiess, and it produces up to 10 million tonnes of semi-soft coking coal and thermal coal a year. Additionally, a coal handling and processing plant is located on the Mt Owen site, which processes coal from all three mines in the Mt Owen complex.
On its website Xstrata Coal, the previous owner of Mt Owen, states that the "high quality export thermal and semi-soft coking coals (from the Mt Owen Complex) are predominantly exported to South-East Asia for domestic power generation and use in steel production."
Mining began at the Mt Owen mine in particular in 1993, under the management of Hunter Valley Coal Corporation Pty Limited (HVCC). At the time, only 1.4 tonnes of ROM coal could be extracted annually.
In 1997, the Mt Owen mine and Glendell were integrated into the same management system, and in 2004, Ravensworth East was added to the complex. In 2003, Glencore, then known as Xstrata, acquired Mt Owen.
In 2004, Mt Owen was granted a new Development Approval, which extended the life of the mine for 21 years and permitted output to increase to 10 mtpa.
- Sponsor: Thiess
- Parent Company: Glencore
- Location: Located within the Hunter Coalfields at Hebden in the Upper Hunter Valley of New South Wales.
- GPS Coordinates: -32.4066392, 151.085603 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 7.6 mtpa (in 2018)
- Total Resource: 730 Mt
- Mineable Reserves: 80 Mt
- Coal type: thermal and semisoft coking coals
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: open cut
- Start Year: 1993
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
- Xstrata Coal, "About Us", Xstrata Coal website, accessed August 2010.
- "[https://www.mtowencomplex.com.au/en/Documents/2016-MtOwen-Open-Cut-Fact-Sheet.pdf MT OWEN OPEN CUT]," "Glencore," accessed June 2020.
- "Mount Owen Glendell Operations: Mining Operations Plan," "Glencore," March 2020.
- "About Us: History," "Glencore website," accessed June 2020.
- "Welcome to Mt Owen/Glendell Operations," "Glencore website," accessed June 2020.
- "COAL," "Glencore Australia website," accessed June 2020.
- "Resources and Reserves as at December 2019," "Glencore," accessed June 2020.