Mejillones LNG Terminal
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Mejillones LNG Terminal, known locally as GNL Mejillones, is an LNG import terminal in Antofagasta, Chile.
- Parent: Engie 63%, Ameris Capital AGF 37%
- Location: Mejillones, Antofagasta, Chile
- Coordinates: -23.058828, -70.366058 (exact)
- Capacity: 1.5 mtpa, 0.22 bcfd
- Additional Proposed Capacity:
- Status: Operating
- Type: Import
- Start Year: 2010
Note: mtpa = million tonnes per year; bcfd = billion cubic feet per day
Mejillones LNG Terminal is located in northern Chile's Antofagasta region and operated by GNL Mejillones, a joint venture company originally owned by Engie subsidiary Suez Energy (63%) and state-owned Chilean copper-mining company, Codelco (37%). In August 2019 Codelco sold its 37% share in the terminal to Ameris Capital AGF for US$193.5 million.
The main purpose of the LNG terminal is to supply the energy needs of mining operations such as Escondida, which is owned by companies such as BHP Billiton, El Abra, Collahuasi, Anglo American and Xstrata, along with mines owned by Codelco. The terminal also supplies natural gas to power plants in northern Chile.
The terminal was built by Spanish company Técnicas Reunidas and engineered by Tractebel. It began operations in 2010 and finished its expansion in 2013. The terminal consists of a floating storage unit (FSU) and two onshore storage tanks.
Articles and resources
- "Somos GNLM". GNL Mejillones website. Retrieved 2021-01-17.
- Chile's Codelco sells stake in LNG terminal as energy crisis passes, S&P Platts Global, Aug. 6, 2019
- "GNL Mejillones celebra diez años desde el inicio de su operación". Engie. 2020-07-03.
- Mejillones LNG Terminal, A Barrel Full, accessed April 2017
- "Chile's GasAtacama launches Mejillones FSRU plan". ICIS Explore. June 28, 2011.
- Fabian Cambero, "Chile Mejillones LNG plant to sell energy in May", Reuters, February 24, 2010
- Mejillones LNG Terminal, Chile, Hydrocarbons Technology, accessed August 2017