Milton Young 3
This project is under evaluation by the sponsors, but no permit applications have been submitted. According to the Sierra Club, project sponsors are rumored to be planning on submitting an air quality permit application in 2008.
In June, 2008, the Bismarck Tribune reported that Minnkota Power Cooperative would mothball plans for the plant until 2026. In the meantime, the company has agreed to an arrangement with FPL Energy under which Minnkota will receive 99 MW of peak output from FPL's wind farm in Cavalier County, ND.
- Sponsor: Minnkota Power Cooperative, Basin Electric Power Cooperative, Minnesota Power, MDU Resources Group
- Location: Center, ND
- Capacity: 500 MW
- Type: Unknown
- Projected in service: 2026
- Status: Cancelled
- Dakota Resource Council, Cindy Klein, cindy [at] drcinfo.com
- "Utilities Explore Building Power Plant Addition", WCCO website, December 7, 2005.
- "Stopping the Coal Rush", Sierra Club, accessed December 2007. (This is a Sierra Club list of new coal plant proposals.)
- Lauren Donovan, "Economic pinwheels spinning in Oliver," Bismarck Tribune, June 25, 2008
- Minnkota, FPL announce wind farm plans, Minnkota press release, 3/29/07
- "Milton Young 3" sierraclub.org, accessed June 2020
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Milton R. Young Station
- North Dakota and coal
- United States and coal
- Carbon Capture and Storage
- Existing U.S. Coal Plants
- US proposed coal plants (both active and cancelled)
- "Tracking New Coal-Fired Power Plants", National Energy Technology Lab, May 1, 2007. (Pdf)
- "Pollution Settlement May Encourage New Plant Construction", Bismarck Tribune, April 25, 2006.</ref>