Mobarakeh Steel Hormuzgan Steel Company plant
|This article is part of the Global Steel Plant Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
Mobarakeh Steel Hormuzgan Steel Company plant (شرکت فولاد هرمزگان (Persian)) (also known as HOSCO and Hormuzgan Iron & Steel) is a 1500.0-thousand tonnes per annum (ttpa) direct reduced iron-electric arc furnace (DRI-EAF) steel plant in Hormozgan, in Iran. Hormuzgan Steel Company plant operates a direct reduced iron (DRI) and electric arc furnace (EAF).
The map below shows the exact location of the steel plant in Bandar Abbas, in Iran.
The Hormuzgan Steel Company plant began operating with a direct reduced iron (DRI) plant in 2008 and later added on an electric arc furnace (EAF) plant in 2010. It was previously owned by the National Iranian Steel Company (NISCO; Government of Iran). According to a press release from 2005, the plant was to cost 600 million dollars; it was to be financed with funds coming from a mix of Iranian banks (comprising 50% of the total) and funds from a mix of European banks (the other 50%).
In 2020, the plant was listed by the Iran Funds, Manipulation, Atrocities, and Threats and Terror (IFMAT) watchdog as being involved in Iran's nuclear weapon program.
- Alternative plant names: HOSCO, Hormuzgan Iron & Steel
- Other language plant name: شرکت فولاد هرمزگان (Persian)
- Location: Shahid Rajaee Port, Bandar Abbas, Iran
- GPS Coordinates: 27.164518, 56.094358 (exact)
- Plant status: operating
- Start year: 2008
- State-owned entity status: full
- State-owned entity department: Ministry of Industries and Mines
- Owner: Hormuzgan Steel Company
- Crude steel production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum): 1500.0
- Electric arc furnace (EAF): 1500
- Crude iron production capacities (thousand tonnes per annum): 1650
- Sponge iron/direct reduced iron: 1650
- Additional proposed (thousand tonnes per annum):
- Electric arc furnace (EAF): 1500 (anticipated completion date of 2023)
- Steel product category: flat
- Steel products: hot-rolled, cold-rolled, slabs
- Steel sector end users: oil & gas, white products, automotive
- Workforce size: 3805
- ISO14001 certification: N/A
- ISO50001 certification: yes
- Main production equipment: direct reduced iron (DRI) and electric arc furnace (EAF)
- Detailed production equipment: DRI plant (began in 2008); EAF (began in 2010)
Articles and Resources
- "Home". Hosco. Retrieved 2022-02-12.
- "NIscoIR Company". NISCO. Retrieved 2022-02-12.
- "Hormuzgan Steel of Iran signs major deal on new plant with European banks". Payvand. Retrieved 2022-02-12.
- "Hormozgan Steel Company". IFMAT. 2020-01-17. Retrieved 2022-02-12.
- "پورتال-NIscoIR English Portal- Company". NiscoIR. Archived from the original on January 11, 2022. Retrieved January 15, 2022.
- "Latest Developments in Steelmaking Capacity 2021" (PDF). OECD. Retrieved 2022-04-14.
- "South Hormozgan Steel Company Public Joint Stock Company Profile - Iran". Emis. Retrieved 2022-02-12.
- "Hormozgan Steel Company (HOSCO) a leading manufacturer of advanced steels". Middle East Metals. 2016-10-28. Retrieved 2022-02-12.