New Clydesdale coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor.|
The New Clydesdale coal mine is owned by Universal Coal and Ndalamo Resources, located some 140 kilometres east of Johannesburg in Mpumalanga, South Africa.
The map below shows the exact location of the mine.
On its website, the mine's previous owner Exxaro states that "this underground mine employs almost 400 people and produces 1,4Mtpa of A- and D-grade thermal coal primarily for sale to the export market. Coal is mined using both open-pit and underground methods. The mine has a reserve base of 14Mt and a resource of 41Mt. Eyesizwe Coal has applied for the requisite mining rights in terms of the MPRDA [Minerals and Petroleum Resources Development Act - ed] to enable it to continue operating the New Clydesdale mine. In the event that the requisite mining rights are not granted, the purchase price for Eyesizwe Coal will be adjusted and the New Clydesdale mine restituted as described in the Kumba circular. The mine owned by Exxaro Coal, a wholly owned subsidiary of the South African mining company Exxaro.
- Parent Company: Universal Coal (49%) and Ndalamo Resources (51%)
- Location: Mpumalanga Province, South Africa
- GPS Coordinates: -26.136250, 29.317149 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production: 3.6 million tonnes per year
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves: 54.8 million tonnes
- Coal Type: Subbituminous (Thermal)
- Mine Size:
- Mine Type: Underground and Surface
- Mine Depth:
- Start Year:
- Source of Financing:
- Number of employees: 60
Articles and Resources
- New Clydesdale Colliery (NCC) Thermal Coal Mine, South Africa, Mining Technology,accessed January 2021
- "New Clydesdale", Exxaro website, accessed May 2010.
- "Our Group structure", Exxaro website, may 2010.